When cutting Oldhamii for propagation questions

robanalogJune 29, 2006

1) How many culms should you get from a 20-30 foot plant? I'm guessing 15 or so before the culms are too thin... Is that correct?

2) When pruning off branches, should I just cut close to the node or totally take everything off of it?

3) If I cut a 10' long section, would I be able to transfer the whole section and separate the culms and bury them for propagation later? or once it's cut does it immediately have to go into soil for it to survive?

4) For the lower nodes that are already bare, If they are buried, will they develop viable branches or are they done once they are bare?

That's all I can think of right now. I'm going to get some cuttings this weekend and I'm trying to figure out how much soil and containers I'll need. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PuraVida(Costa Rica)

Just get some divisions instead.

If you're gonna' do it...

puravida

Here is a link that might be useful: garden photo blog

Bookmark   June 29, 2006 at 6:01PM
robanalog

Thanks PV. I'll actually be putting the divisions in pots once I dig them out but the Oldhamii's are between 20-30 feet tall and I don't want to just keep the first 3' of it and destroy the rest. I'm going to try to propagate the culms that I cut above the 3' that I'll be keeping with the root balls/ divisions.
I'm still trying to figure out how many I want to plant and maybe drying some out and keeping poles for projects.

Bookmark   June 29, 2006 at 6:40PM
webgator(9 FL)

You should be able to get one propagation per node. Cut about 2 inches below and about 6 inches above each node. Trim the branching if any to just a few. Bury the culm so that the node and branching are covered. Keep the dirt moist. I was also told to keep the culm full of water by a very reputable grower in the Tampa area, though some say this is not necessary.

Anyways, you should see new leaves develop in a few weeks with new shoots appearing in a few months. Rooting may have taken place by then, but it could take a few more months after that.

Also, I recommend a nice sterile mix of 50/50 peat and perlite. Oldhammi propagates easily, but as with anything else your results may vary.

Bookmark   July 6, 2006 at 5:31AM
More Discussions
Bamboo for Privacy in Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I'm a bamboo rookie but I'm redoing...
dform
top ten favorite bamboos
I'm relatively new to this forum and somewhat new to...
jeremy88
Are giant black java seeds real or scam?
I have 15 seeds sprouted from a seller with good ratings...
humboldt
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
Phyllostachys bamboo species? Bamboo experts?
This bamboo is growing in Northern VA, zone 7a. I assume...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™