Can anyone help please?

flora2(7)June 12, 2006

Hi

I am trying (very hard) to get a banana that is red on the underside of the leaves. No patches of red, but all red. It is pretty upright --the leaves, I mean (rather than "floppy")but I need to know the name. Do you guys know what the name could be? I have gone to many, many nurseries in my area and have not seen anything like this. Of course Seattle could not be called "the capital of tropical plants" either. Can anyone help me with the name so it makes my search a little easier? Thanks a lot.

No, I did not dream this banana :) There is actually somone in my area that has it but she has no idea of name or where it came from :(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
islandtim(7-nc)

sounds like ensete maurelii, type that in on yahoo, the second listing brent & becky's bulbs has a nice photo.

Bookmark   June 12, 2006 at 5:02PM
pitangadiego(San Diego, CA)

Sumatrana X

Bookmark   June 12, 2006 at 11:11PM
flora2(7)

Hi
Thank you Pitangadiego but no, the banana I was referring to does not have any coloration on the top of the leaf. The appearance a little bit more like the one mentioned by islandtim in the first response. Your picture is beautiful though :)

Bookmark   June 12, 2006 at 11:26PM
dilbert(z5 IL)

"the banana I was referring to does not have any coloration on the top of the leaf."

Lots of different kinds of banana plants have red coloring only on the undersides of the leaves. Three that come to mind are Kru, African Rhino Horn, and Sikkimensis.

Bookmark   June 12, 2006 at 11:59PM
dilbert(z5 IL)

I forgot to mention Red Iholena.

Bookmark   June 13, 2006 at 12:17AM
More Discussions
Banana tree not doing well
I have a big banana tree that has been thriving until...
sibbell
Does anyone actually have a tree that produces 'fruit' up north?
I was wondering if there is such a thing as growing...
meyermike_1micha
Smallest dwarf I've seen
This past week I was out to lunch and while walking...
gnappi
Prepping the soil for banana plants
Hello, I have a nice space for about 2-3 dwarf Apple...
figsinhawaii
How big are your zebrinas
On the Going Bananas site it says 6-8 ft but of course...
sfhellwig
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™