How to cure bamboo?

missguidedJune 15, 2009

I LOVE bamboo! - I have often harvested bamboo that is offered free from people and have some of my own growing...(Tampa Bay area) I have a ton of ideas on things to make with bamboo but I need to know what to do with it after it is cut down to "cure" it. Alot of what I have saved rotted. I am talking about 3"-5" thick bamboo - after I make something (outdoor) do I poly it or is there something better? Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

If you are making outdoor items and they get wet a lot, they are going to eventually rot. Putting on a coating will extend the life marginally, but is not worth the trouble and expense in my experience. Most large bamboo that is cured is dried over a period of several days in a big, smoky, outdoor oven: this reduces moisture content and kills any bugs. In order to minimize splitting, it's common to also take a piece of rebar with a pointed end and ram it through the bamboo lengthwise to break through the nodes. If you don't want to build a giant oven, you can air dry it in a protected location.

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 12:32PM
missguided

Thanks for the answer Kudzu9!

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 9:36AM
silent1pa

After coring it I use a old woodstove with a 4" flu inside a 12"flu(open at both ends) to heat dry bamboo but you have to be carefull not to burn it. I then use a pvc pipe mostly full of laquer to soak it before I use it. It's not really economical for most uses but I do this before refilling to make fishing poles. My buddy uses mineral oil and it works great but needs to be periodically reapplied.

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 9:13AM
More Discussions
Bamboo for Privacy in Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I'm a bamboo rookie but I'm redoing...
dform
Is this a type of bamboo?
I am trying to identify this plant and would appreciate...
jdeamer
Best Zone 8 timber bamboo
Hi guys, I live on a few acres in South Mississippi,...
jdsokol
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™