Bamboo alternatives

amiriliano(6)June 16, 2014

HI all, greetings from Philly. I was wondering if there are any cheaper, less invasive options for live screens other than bamboo.

Horsetail looks great but needs to be near water. Anything else like that that would work in my regular yard?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantkiller_il_5(5)

mischanthus foridus
7 ft, grass

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 9:46PM
subtropix

Firstly, not all bamboos are invasive. Fargesia and other clumpers are safe. I use Fargesia rufa in Zone7a (protected from hot hot in a kind of protected eastern exposure). Btw, if you are in Philly, your zone is 7a. This bamboo wall was started several years ago from a few tiny, expensive pots.

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 2:02PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

amirialano-
Whatever you do, don't plant horsetail. Now that is an invasive weed that makes running bamboo look quite well behaved. I second the motion to consider a cold-resistant clumping bamboo, like one of the Fargesias.

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 1:38PM
subtropix

I know Fargesia has the reputation of not thriving in hot summers, BUT,
at least with the species 'rufa', it does VERY well in summers with tropical heat and humidity as long as it gets some protection from the hottest sun. (If you are prone to high Summer heat and drought though, that would be a limiting factor.)

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 1:31PM
Ninkasi(6ish Germany)

I would also say to keep an open mind about horsetail. My neighbor had this in San Diego in a sunny front yard and it was hardly watered. It did great there. Many others had them in the neighborhood and none of them were in ponds, just sandy front yards. Just because it grows great on riverbanks doesn't mean that is the only place it thrives.

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
Moso vs Giant Japanese Timber
Phyllostachys heterocycla f. pubescens "Moso"...
vancleaveterry
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
top ten favorite bamboos
I'm relatively new to this forum and somewhat new to...
jeremy88
Is it possible to grow tall bamboo indoors?
I know *nothing* about bamboo, but I would love to...
tinan
argh neighbor
I live on six acres and we have a new neighbor. He...
seydoux
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™