dwarf cavendish - full sun?

desertgardener71June 2, 2009

I live just outside of the Phoenix metro area... many people around here grow banana in their back yards, in the ground, and I have some good desert adapted "Rajapuri" varieties that are doing superb in the ground right now. Recently I was given a young dwarf cavendish - not the super dwarf variety... i have heard from several people that these will burn up very quickly if exposed to full sun... any advice? My Rajapuri variety (3 feet tall now) are exposed to full sun almost all day, and I have a south facing backyard. Temps now are regularly pushing 102 and last few days it's been up near 107. My drip system goes on twice a day (morning/evening) for an hour, 3 times a week now. I'm thinking that should be ok, and I'm noticing a new leaf each week from the existing banana trees. Will dwarf cavendish do OK in partial shade/partial sun? Regardless, it will get blasted with a bit of overhead noon sun and full afternoon sun.... just don't want it to fry though. Also - is it ok to just use some regular Miracle Grow plant food/fertilizer?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cowboyup4christ(Zone 8)

should do fine or you could plant it among the taller plants until it becomes accustom to the heat. just give plenty of water and food and see what happens.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 11:53AM
More Discussions
ice cream banana tree
i have had the bananas for a few months.. dont seem...
sudsmcduff
Does anyone actually have a tree that produces 'fruit' up north?
I was wondering if there is such a thing as growing...
meyermike_1micha
What size container to transplant into
I just purchased an unknown banana plant (labeled Musa...
drtd
Brand new to bananas, please help identify!
I'm in zone 6, so this baby will never go outside,...
lilmizscareall
Digging Musa basjoo
My 10-year-old musa mother plant has now become a banana...
rainydaywoman_z8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™