Best banana trees for zone 7?

Hunter_M(Kentucky Z.6)June 24, 2011

Im in 5b now but I might be in zone 7 Virginia next year. Im going to try to grow palms and bananas If I go to VA. What are the best bananas to grow in zone 7? I was thinking Musa Velutina and mabye musa bajoo. Any others? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chadec7a

I am not sure of exact hardiness yet, but musa sikkimenses bengal tiger which is a great varigated banana is rated for zone 7b. So I plan on giving mine winter protection. Here is an early spring pic of mine. I will post more on the palm forum later in july.

Chad,

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 9:48PM
subtropix

I like Musa sikkimensis (cold hardy with nice maroon coloration). Of course, you need to grow Musa basjoo if you end up in zone 7. I would also suggest the CHINESE banana (Lasiocarpus) for cold hardiness--and beautiful yellow flowers.

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 4:54PM
chadec7a

Good suggestion I forgot to mention that one which is right behind the bengal tiger. Here is a better pic of mine, unfortunatly it's not in bloom.

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 8:44PM
islandbreeze

I have had good success with Musa Basjoo in zone 6 when planted up against the foundation of the house, pretty much seem to be bulletproof, although I do mulch and tarp mine just for added insurance. This year I am also trying a banana sold to me as Musa Mekong Giant. Supposed to be cold hardy, according to the seller, but I also read that this banana is actually Musa Yunnanensis, not sure if it really is though. You also might want to look into Itinerans.

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 12:12AM
Hunter_M(Kentucky Z.6)

Thanks, guys I would have thanked you earlier, but I dont come on the banana forum much. Thanks again!
-Hunter

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 9:26AM
subtropix

I bought a Rajapuri last weekend. Label says it's hardy to Zone 7!--They will fruit. Also bought a Bordelon--though not hardy to Zone 7 (and non-fruiting), it's very tropical looking and hardy to Zone 8 (not bad for a banana).

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 4:50PM
More Discussions
What size container to transplant into
I just purchased an unknown banana plant (labeled Musa...
drtd
Thinking about buying a dwarf edible banana tree.
Hello everyone. I'm thinking about purchasing a dwarf...
Citruslover1
yellow and brown edges on banana leaves
Hello all, I have a dwarf cavendish banana plant which...
sabine_farm
Banana fruiting stopped at 3 hands, now what?
My banana tree finally flowered, we were so excited....
darkmorning
Hundreds varieties of banana in Thailand
Though I'm Thai, it was last week at our local ornamental...
stephania
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™