Care for mail order plants?

bananafanJune 15, 2007

What's the best way to plant baby bananas that are 8-12"? Is it better to plant them in pots first before transplanting them to the ground? How about sun exposure? Is it better to keep them in a shady place first? If they are to be planted directly in the ground, then it would be hard to protect them from direct sun, or maybe the sun exposure doesn't matter? Finally, what kind of fertilizer is best for them when they're that small? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
southlatropical

I have two unknown varieties of banana in zone 9. All of my plants were transplanted this year, some of them recently. One variety is the toughest plant I've ever seen and never stopped growing after being transplanted. The other variety however let it's leaves go limp the first day it was moved. I clipped them off and the plant continued to grow. I would pot the new plant and put it in morning sun and evening shade and give it a little water in the evening just to be safe. I have never fertilized my banana plants except for some miracle grow now and then.

Bookmark   June 15, 2007 at 9:51PM
pitangadiego(San Diego, CA)

I pot mine in 1 gallon, the 5, and then into the ground. Much easier to manage them in a pot when they are little.

Bookmark   June 16, 2007 at 1:07AM
bananafan

Southtropical and Pitangadiego: thanks for the followup. I think I would do the same and watch them grow first before I transplant them into the ground.

Happy Father's Day!

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 1:41PM
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

I usually pot mine up for at least a little while so they can recover from shipping. The last one I got was wilted and droopy and losing leaves for at least a week or two. I was afraid I would lose it altogther, so I decided to keep it in the shade until it got its act together. After a few weeks, I gradually moved it into the sun, and now it's doing great a month later.

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 7:34AM
funsocaltiger(SoCal - 9b / 19)

The directions I got for mine were to put it in morning sun / afternoon shade for the first 1-2 weeks so that they don't burn.

I would wait a week before starting to use water soluable fertilizer (or until it is clearly growing) like Miracle Gro and after a month they said it's okay to add in time-release fertilizer like Osmocote too.

I'd keep it in a pot until it's a decent size too.

Also, becareful not to overwater before it gets its root established.

Laurence

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
When can I ID?
I acquired four banana pups last fall when a local...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Banana Palm uprooted in winds!
How can I save it???
Green4les
Musa Zebrina - Blood Banana - blooming photos
These 4 photos taken February 14, 2007: ..and the plant...
bananasdotorg
Smallest dwarf I've seen
This past week I was out to lunch and while walking...
gnappi
Banana tree has fruit on it. Now What?
Hey, when do I know it's time to cut the stalk of fruit...
elbeardo
Sponsored Products
Progress Lighting Path & Landscape Lights Black 1-light Landscape Spotlight
$94.86 | Home Depot
Elephant Garden Stool
Home Decorators Collection
Dragonfly Cast Iron Hanging Plant Shelf Bracket
Signature Hardware
Butler Heritage Chappel Planter
Beyond Stores
Bird Cam Mounting Arm
$29.95 | FRONTGATE
Jaipur Anatolia Ottoman Flat Weave Tribal Pattern Wool Handmade Rug Multicolor -
$83.00 | Hayneedle
Serena & Lily Teak Step Stool
Serena & Lily
Pothos 63-inch Climbing Silk Plant
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™