Seeds, but no sprouts?

kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)April 5, 2010

Has it ever happened to you?? Two bulbs...selfed about the same time. Both have huge, fat, beautiful plump seed pods loaded with black thick seeds. You sow them both in the same mixture...and nearly every seed of Paris (self) sprouts and so far not a single sprout of Apple Blossom (self). WHAT'S UP WITH THAT!?

I'm scratching my head. If a plant was sterile, they wouldn't set seed, or would they? Each little embryo was just as plump as could be, and not a single sprout. I love my AB and have many of them, but this was my first attempt to self her, and she didn't cooperate!

:-?

Kristi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
npublici(Zephyrhills,Fl)

Kristi,Apple Blossom has long been known to be seed infertile. I've never had it to set seed,much less fertile seed.Breeders using Apple Blossom,use its pollen.
That being said,I would never stop trying to use it as a seed parent. As I've said before;there are exceptions,to even hard and fast rules in genetics.It does happen. It could happen for you,but don't waste all your effort on it.
There are too many other possibilities,including using its pollen.
Del

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 10:48PM
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Thanks Del...Maybe I could pick your brain for a list of "problems": seed infertile, impossible to self, sterile pollen, etc. I'll be in touch! I recalled there was a problem with AB, but didn't recall what it was exactly. I had tried to self it in the past with absolutely no results. I love the soft pink color...and would love to cross with with a large white picotee...(like President Johnson). With so many blooms getting ready in the GH, maybe I can start planning more crosses.
Thanks!
Kristi
:-)

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 9:15AM
betonklotz(7b Baltic Sea coast)

Kristi, on the german forums someone recieved 2 viable in a cross with AB as the motherplant, but I don't know if the two seedlings are still alive and well. Also I read about crosses with AB as a pollen donator where the seedlings also turned out to be seed infertile, sadly!

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 9:01AM
gmwill(5 Northern IL)

I heard similar comments elsewhere about the difficulty of selfing an AB. As a result, I was so excited to see the plump seed pods last year with my first attempt ever on pollinating a Hippi. I even showed the see pods to a friend of mime over webcam at the time. Then, they all aborted after a bit more than two weeks. Oh, well, I tried.

-GM

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 12:20AM
More Discussions
Red Flaslh
If I have a favorite Komoriya bulb I think Red Flash...
jstropic
Looking for H. Mandonii seed
Hi Folks Im looking for H. Mandonii seed that I can...
wiljonn
Full House, Tres Chic and another
From top to bottom, Komoriya mislable, Tres Chic and...
jstropic
Hippeastrum Apple Blossom problem
My Hippeastrum Apple Blossom showed a tip of a flowering...
jujujojo_gw
test
just trying to figure out if i am signed in
snowdogmama
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™