Bamboo Doesn't Shoot

dkjensenJune 10, 2014

I have a larger timber bamboo that I harvested from an abandoned home 10 years ago. It has been in the ground now for 4+ years. It seems to only shoot every other year. All signs are that it is healthy (new growth up top but I have not done any digging). The year after I moved it from pot to ground it sent up one good size shoot, probably 1.25 inch. Then nothing the next year. Last year in May I got two shoots, both the same size as previous. This year I haven't seen anything. Is it a normal thing for a bamboo to shoot bi yearly? Should I be concerned about anything? Thanks for the help and insight.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

I wouldn't be concerned if it looks healthy otherwise. I have many bamboo; most, but not all, shoot annually.

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 4:32

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 11:41PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

A fully stimulated bamboo triples in size every year. Something is preventing yours from getting up a full head of steam. Is it mulched? If you put on a thick mulch, so that soil moisture conditions are tempered you may say a huge improvement in culm size and number.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 12:16AM
kevlar68(9a)

Hello, dkjensen...what hardiness zone are you in?

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 8:11PM
dkjensen

I am not sure the exact zone we would be in. We are just outside of Seattle. Minimum temperature of about 15-20 but not every year does it get that low. Common to get a little below freezing in the winter. I have not mulched the bamboo. I have fertalized twice a year with an organic lawn fertalizer. I have a smaller black bamboo that I have treated the same way and it seems to be thriving.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 11:04AM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

dkjensen-
I'm in the Seattle suburbs and so your Zone is likely the same as mine: 8B. Winters here do not harm the growth of timber bamboo...at least in my experience of over 10 years growing bamboo. I can't say for sure why yours doesn't shoot every year, but it doesn't mean there is something wrong with it. Also, I am less optimistic than bboy about growth. I have about 60 species of bamboo under cultivation, and they certainly do not triple in size every year, even though they are well taken care of.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 12:56PM
dkjensen

I guess I will try and not worry to much about it. This is my first experience with timber bamboo. It might help if I knew what kind it was as well. I will make an effort to mulch it this year. I have not done that yet. Thanks for the input!

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
Wanted: PH dulcis or Giant timber bamboo
I am looking for ph dulcis and/or giant timbers I dont...
rozenkruetz
Best Zone 8 timber bamboo
Hi guys, I live on a few acres in South Mississippi,...
jdsokol
Strange leaves on Oldhamii, wondering whats up and then boom!
So all my bamboo has been looking ever so green and...
littlepepperboy
Grasses
Do grasses ( like miscanthus and others) need a lot...
els60
If selling bamboo - what to sell and how?
Greetings all! We have just aquired a home that has...
littlebamboozdo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™