Dividing pups

kaysbelle(z5IL)June 3, 2009

I received a new Basjoo - it has two five foot plants and one about 2 feet tall in a very small pot. Can someone tell me how to divide the two 5 feet plants so I can plant them separately in the ground. Step by step would be great. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaysbelle(z5IL)

One more question - since I will be taking them out of the pot would it be easier to wash the soil off the plant so I can see where they should be separated? I've done this with other plants - hostas and elephant ears, so I thought it may be easier with the banana.

Bookmark   June 3, 2009 at 9:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bananafan

Bananas are relatively strong plants. The way I do the division is using a saw and saw the two plants apart, making sure that both plants get equal proportion of the root system. Sometimes, the pseudostem may bend at the base. If that happens, be sure not to severe on the pseudostem itself. If you think rinsing them with water will help you do a better job, by all means. Otherwise, if both plants have straight pseudostem, it's easy to split them apart. Most bananas will take the division very well. Hope that helps.

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 10:38PM
More Discussions
Banana Question...
I bought a dwarf cavendish banana about 2 years ago,...
Dani74
Smallest dwarf I've seen
This past week I was out to lunch and while walking...
gnappi
Thinking about buying a dwarf edible banana tree.
Hello everyone. I'm thinking about purchasing a dwarf...
Citruslover1
Hundreds varieties of banana in Thailand
Though I'm Thai, it was last week at our local ornamental...
stephania
When can I ID?
I acquired four banana pups last fall when a local...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™