OldHamii

motorman702June 23, 2009

Iam looking to plant OldHamii in my back yard about 2-3 feet away from the 3 block walls enclosing the backyard to creat more shade & a privacy screen. I live in Las Vegas,NV zone 8.

My question is will it grow? if it will what type of soil is best? Do i need to install some sort of a barrier to keep the bamboo were i want it. Anything i can learn about this will help a lot

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

It may be too arid in Las Vegas. The air may be too dry, but the heat shouldn't hurt it.

However, it grows very erect and will only give shade as it blocks the sun from the side, but it does make a great screen.

A well-drained and moist soil is best and it likes plenty of sun.

No barrier is needed. It is a clumping bamboo and will only spread very slowly, and if a culm comes up somewhere that you do not want it, simply break it off.

Good Luck

Kt

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 10:03PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Because it is a clumper, your only concern would be many years from now when the root ball expands to the block walls: the root mass could exert some sideways pressure and possibly cause cracking at the mortar joints.

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 10:52PM
motorman702

Thanks for the info. No barrier is needed that should make thing simple.

One more question can you grow clumping & running bamboo in the same planter or would this cause a problem

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 7:59PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

The bamboo won't cause a problem for one another, other than the fact that the runner will send culms up all around the clumper. Your only concern would be the construction of the planter base and -- assuming it has an open bottom -- whether the sides are deep enough in the ground so that the runner won't send rhizomes out under the sides of the base.

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 12:15PM
More Discussions
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
Phyllostachys bamboo species? Bamboo experts?
This bamboo is growing in Northern VA, zone 7a. I assume...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
Strange leaves on Oldhamii, wondering whats up and then boom!
So all my bamboo has been looking ever so green and...
littlepepperboy
Will remove unwanted bamboo in nc
Hey all, My team and I willing to remove a mature bamboo...
bamboohunter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™