Cronin crosses?

kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)April 24, 2014

Subject line is supposed to be CRINUM CROSSES!! Don't know when/how it changed!!
------
I know I've seen Crinum crosses somewhere. Does anyone know if it's possible to put Crinum pollen on a Hippeastrum hybrid, and get fertile seed?

Thanks!
Kristi

PS.... Read attached article. Why am I still thinking this "should" work!! Ok... Seems doubtful now, but still may throw some pollen around just for kicks! Can't succeed if I don't at least try!

Here is a link that might be useful: 1906 article

This post was edited by kaboehm on Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 22:40

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blancawing

Kristi,

Given the use of an in-vitro culture technique, specifically embryo rescue, this intergeneric cross involving members of the Amaryllidaceae is possible. If memory serves, the cross was successfully made several decades ago. However, the intergeneric hybrids produced flowers that were far less than pleasing.

-Blanca

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 12:03AM
haweha

Oh, another Article from "bulbn'rose". Can't help giggling Lord forgive me...

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 5:44AM
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Sorry Hans-Werner,

It was what I found on Google with a photo. Seemed a little odd to me too.

They said that the cross was not successful; however, the pollen had some influence on the bloom. I don't understand how pollen can have "some" influence!

Glad it made you laugh!! I'm sure it wouldn't stand up to the peer reviews we are used to!
K

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 7:54AM
lenanen

I know Crinums have been crossed succesfully with Amaryllis belladonna producing Amarcrinums, but this doesn't answer your question. I'm sorry can't be of any help.

Here is a link that might be useful: pacific bulb society: amarcrinum hybrids

This post was edited by lenanen on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 8:11

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 8:09AM
macroclemys

Kristi,
Alan Meerow has done extensive work on the genetics of Amaryllidaceae family to determine the relatedness of the genera within the family. His work shows that Hippeastrum and Crinum are quite distantly related within the family. Within this family, Hippeastrum is in the Hippeastreae tribe, which also includes Habranthus, Sprekelia, Zephyranthes, and Rhodophiala. There is a much greater genetic differences between these and the tribe Amaryllideae, which includes Amaryllis, Nerine, Crinum, and other (mostly African) genera. Since these genera are closely related to each other, there is a chance of successful crosses within a tribe (such as Hippeastrum x Sprekelia or Amaryllis X Crinum), but very little chance of a successful cross between tribes, such as Hippeastrum X Crinum.

Bill

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 8:48AM

Thanks all! I bet I was thinking of the e Amaryllis Belladonna x Crinum cross (not sure of direction of cross....).
K

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 9:30AM
More Discussions
Disgusting!
OMG! The stink and the shameful waste.
blancawing
Hippeastrum Apple Blossom problem
My Hippeastrum Apple Blossom showed a tip of a flowering...
jujujojo_gw
Anyone order Sonatinis?
Did anyone order any Sonatini's?? I ordered 39 bulbs...
I'm beginning to figure out the code to ordering the bulbs I want
Ok, I'm starting to figure out the code to ordering...
jstropic
Rebloomer 'Giraffe'
Reblooming 'Giraffe' First scape with 5 flowers!! :)...
lenanen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™