Tropical Clumpers

sabine_2007June 26, 2011

Has anyone ever grown a tropical clumper like Bambusa chungii in the western part of WA state? I just ordered one and wondering if it can survive here or if I should keep it in a pot and move inside during cold weather.

Sabine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

I live in Western WA (Seattle area), and I don't think there is anywhere in our state that you can get that species to survive outdoors during the winter. It's only hardy to about 20F, and it will probably experience culm and foliage damage or topkill a few degrees below freezing. I have about 70 varieties of bamboo, and my experience is that most of the tropical clumpers are not suited for our area...I've lost several that were hardier than B. chungii. Although I have a couple of tropical clumpers, they are in pots and go into my heated greenhouse every fall. What you've got is a beautiful bamboo, but you are going to have to move to Louisiana or Florida if you want to grow it outdoors year around.

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 5:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Many hot climate plants don't like our cool summers, even if their minimum temperature tolerance is comparatively strong.

And there is a difference between a couple sharp nights followed by a return to 70 degrees F. and two weeks of cold that solidly freezes the soil (and roots) to a fair depth.

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 12:59AM
More Discussions
Screening bamboo?
Don't know much about bamboo (except not to use the...
florananny
Will remove unwanted bamboo in nc
Hey all, My team and I willing to remove a mature bamboo...
bamboohunter
Anyone growing Sasa palmata in zone 6A?
I want to screen part of our property and don't want...
mersiepoo
What is the DEAL?
Last autumn, I split off some young culms from my main,...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Moso vs Giant Japanese Timber
Phyllostachys heterocycla f. pubescens "Moso"...
vancleaveterry
Sponsored Products
Silk Ficus 7-foot Tree
Overstock.com
Modus Element 2 Drawer Media Chest in Chocolate Brown
Beyond Stores
Porcelina Tapered Clips 24-Inch Six-Light Brushed Nickel Pendant Bowl With Taper
$798.00 | Bellacor
Curvilis Chaise Sunshade, Patio Furniture
$261.00 | FRONTGATE
Jamie Young Mandalay 24" Round Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Braided Area Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Botanical Isle Kiwi
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™