what to get?

sambo725(9)June 20, 2013

I live in the panhandle of Florida. At times it can dip into the mid or even low 20s for short periods of time. I am looking to get the biggest clumping bamboo that will safely grow in my climate.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jonjfarr

Bambusa distegia, bambusa malingensis, bambusa dolichoclada and variations, bambusa dolichomerithalla and variations, Bambusa eutuldoides 'Viridivittata' - Asian Lemon Bamboo and Asian Lime, Bambusa Beecheyana (some species not infected with the mosaic potex virus), Bambusa Chungii, Bambusa Dissimilis, Bambusa Textillis Kanapaha, my personal favorite Bambusa Ventricosa 'Clone x', Bambusa Ventricosa, Bambusa Dissimilator Bambusa eutuldoides 'Basistriata'. These bamboos are all clumping and have a cold tolerance of 21 or lower. While their cane thickness is 2-3 inches depending on species. However a few would not be considered "timber bamboo". Are you using the bamboo as a hedge/wall, specimen, or crafts?

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 2:56AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

The largest clumper here, with similar temps as you, is Bambusa textilis, growing to over 40 feet in height and a very neat looking bamboo. It is the cold hardiest of the large clumpers for this area and rarely gets any damage, even with temps down into the low teens for short periods.

Bambusa oldhamii grows to similar height, has larger culms, is more erect/upright but is not quite as cold hardy so it might need some northwind protection.

I have others that get large, but get burn by cold weather and sometimes the culms even freeze back.

Kt

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 10:09PM
More Discussions
Screening bamboo?
Don't know much about bamboo (except not to use the...
florananny
my new planted bamboo is dying.... I think
hey guys, this is Alex from Mexico, Baja, my zone is...
steelfish
Is this a type of bamboo?
I am trying to identify this plant and would appreciate...
jdeamer
Best Zone 8 timber bamboo
Hi guys, I live on a few acres in South Mississippi,...
jdsokol
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™