question about dwarf cavendish...

Dani74(7a)July 25, 2014

this is my first banana and i was just wondering if it is supposed to fruit before pups popping up or is it just normal that they can come up with no fruiting at all? its in a pot, about three feet tall now and little over a year old- never flowered but has two pups. and will it die now that it has pups? the internet just isn't helping me much on this, thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

Bananas can reproduce sexually (flowers and seeds), and asexually (the pups which are clones, hence genetically identical). The Dwarf Cavendish freely suckers. You may or may not get flowers this season, but this is unrelated to the pups. The mother plant will not die after suckering, and you can either leave them attached or sever them and pot them up separately. When they are mature enough, you can gently tug them apart from the mother plant (they will already have their own roots by this time).

For fruiting, they are ready when they are ready. They want...good sun, heat, WATER, and fertilizing. (Assuming your banana is outside this time of year.)

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 7:48AM
More Discussions
Smallest dwarf I've seen
This past week I was out to lunch and while walking...
gnappi
unknown banana
Hello, I got a banana plant and was pretty excited...
sunshine34662
What size container to transplant into
I just purchased an unknown banana plant (labeled Musa...
drtd
First banana plant
Heh, okay so i was watching my friend remove unwanted...
YouthGarden
Banana fruiting stopped at 3 hands, now what?
My banana tree finally flowered, we were so excited....
darkmorning
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™