Unknown Bamboo

wayner2000(5b Ontario)June 3, 2006

Hi, I live in Southern Ontario, Zone 5B, and have just received a bamboo from a friend. How can I tell what type of bamboo this is? I know it likes full sun and may be invasive however I would love to be able to put a name to it. Any help would be much appreciated..........Wayne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hello_c_j_here(7 Cary, NC)

Best way would be to post a link to a pic of the Bamboo... several up close of the emerging culms and a shot of the entire plant helps too. May not be conclusive ... but we'll get pretty close I bet :-D
Take care
CJ

Bookmark   June 4, 2006 at 10:38AM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Wayne-
Bamboo are often hard to differentiate. There are over 1200 species. Admittedly some are tropical, and wouldn't be thriving in Canada, but that still leaves a lot of choices. Most bamboo are runners, and many thrive in a variety of light conditions, so we're pretty much at ground zero here. If you have any hope of this getting identified, you need to provide those closeup photos cj suggested.

Bookmark   June 4, 2006 at 2:36PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Beware of Japanese knotweed.

Bookmark   June 4, 2006 at 11:04PM
wayner2000(5b Ontario)

Hi, I would like to "Thank" everyone for their replys. Bboy, I believe you are right, I did a lookup on google and viewed the images of Japanese knotweed and it looks exactly like the pics I saw. Thanks for the help, this is one plant that won't be going in my garden........Wayne

Bookmark   June 8, 2006 at 7:58PM
More Discussions
Trans planting new shoots
Three years ago I transplanted bamboo in my yard. The...
Joecd
Bamboo for Privacy in Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I'm a bamboo rookie but I'm redoing...
dform
Will remove unwanted bamboo in nc
Hey all, My team and I willing to remove a mature bamboo...
bamboohunter
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
my new planted bamboo is dying.... I think
hey guys, this is Alex from Mexico, Baja, my zone is...
steelfish
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™