is this normal?

dpazJune 23, 2014

So, about a month ago, I planted a 3 gallon phyllostachys bambusoides in my back yard, intentionally digging deeper and much wider than needed to give the bamboo room to stretch, with about 8 cubic feet of compost/manure mixed in with the native soil.

Unfortunately, my dog eventually figured out how to get through the fence I erected and pulled one of my three culms out of the ground, proceeding then to chew off the point where the root meets the culm.

I have since watered the bamboo with a solution of 80 ppm IAA, hoping to aid its recovery and/or establishment. Sure enough, one of the culms that had previously shown little sign of life almost immediately began producing a large amount of foliage. Today, two weeks later, I found a bona-fide shoot popping out of the mulch. (On a side note, I am surprised how far from the original clump it is emerging... I am taking that as a good sign!)

On the vendor's website, and elsewhere on the web, everything I have read says it should not be shooting so soon. Could this be the result of the IAA (plant growth hormone)? Or is this how bamboo responds to trauma?

How will the damage done by my dog, who is now watched VERY closely whenever he is in the back yard, affect the growth of my bamboo? Will it easily recover, or am I looking at drastically stunted growth?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seagal007(9b)

Your bamboo should be fine. You have lost one cane to your dog it wont traumatize the plant. A big factor in shooting times is quality of the soil, temperature, regular watering, and fertilizer. Sounds like you are doing the right things :-)

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
blue bamboo?
I am looking for bamboo hardy to zone 7 with blue culms....
shane11
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
argh neighbor
I live on six acres and we have a new neighbor. He...
seydoux
Is it possible to grow tall bamboo indoors?
I know *nothing* about bamboo, but I would love to...
tinan
Screening bamboo?
Don't know much about bamboo (except not to use the...
florananny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™