Tall container bamboo for Los Angeles?

mariadevJuly 1, 2009

I have a concrete alley behind a guest house in our back yard where I would like to plant bamboo to act as a privacy screen.

Its the first time that I have grown bamboo and I guess container planting is not the easiest. I think I've gathered that V shaped plastic pots with drainage holes are the best, but that it will likely get root-bound and need to be taken out and split in 4 years??

Would anyone have any suggestions on what variety I could use? Ideally, I would want tall, tall plants (I know they dont grow to their full height in containers), not messy, with not too much leaves at the base of the plant. We're in Los Angeles, and the alley is pretty shady.

Also, I'd love to hear any other tips!

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

When you say "tall, tall," what maximum height are you thinking?

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 12:34PM
mariadev

hmm, around 40 feet would be perfect, but I don't think I can find any disadvantages if it grows taller than that.

Bookmark   July 2, 2009 at 1:15AM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

You're unlikely to have any bamboo in pots that will approach 40'...20' is a more reasonable expectation. I grow a lot of kinds of bamboo in the ground, and none of mine are at even the 30' level. The only time I saw bamboo in containers where the culms were 40' high was inside a shopping mall where the plants were in massive concrete containers 6' high and quite wide and deep.
As you are in Los Angeles, there are a lot of bamboo that will grow well for you; your main problem will be keeping them well-watered in pots. I am not going to recommend a species as there are so many that can be grown in containers in your area. Instead, you should go to a local bamboo nursery to see what various kinds look like and to get recommendations on what will do well in your situation. Below is a link with a little more info on growing bamboo

Here is a link that might be useful: Container bamboo

Bookmark   July 2, 2009 at 1:45PM
mariadev

thanks a lot for your help!

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 12:17AM
More Discussions
Wanted: PH dulcis or Giant timber bamboo
I am looking for ph dulcis and/or giant timbers I dont...
rozenkruetz
Strange leaves on Oldhamii, wondering whats up and then boom!
So all my bamboo has been looking ever so green and...
littlepepperboy
argh neighbor
I live on six acres and we have a new neighbor. He...
seydoux
What does this Giant Timber need
I have it in the ground for maybe 5-6 months. I did...
gerryo619
My well water & bamboo
I posted this issue under the thread "Bamboo turning...
mikess
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™