Repotting seedlings

succulentfreak(N. CA - Z8)July 15, 2006

I've searched this site for awhile now and can't find the info I need. I did read that seedlings should be at least 3" before transplanting but I have a few more questions...

Should each seedling be in its own pot? I planted in large cell trays and a couple cells have 2 or three seedlings. Do they need to be separated? Better to leave them together, untraumatized?

I have loads of 1 gallon plastic pots..big enough?

The Moso are at 3", Dendro Giant 8" and Lako and Asper at 6"...ok to transplant all now?

Thanks for all the great info provided on this site. I have lurked lots and learned tons from you all. Amy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bambooo(6 CT USA)

Never put all your eggs in one basket, transplant a few of each today , a few another day.
I like rainy days the best for this.
Work in the shade and leave the new transplants in a shady wind sheltered spot gradually moving them back to the sun.

Bookmark   July 15, 2006 at 12:13PM
gdr41(pa. z6)

a general rule for trans planting any seedling is it's ok to do after plant has it's second set of leaves. meaning that plant has one set of leaves then higher up the stem another set. if more leaves than that the better. one gallon containers will be fine, you can go to larger pots later. you can have 2 seedlings in one pot then seperate later or just let them grow together. you should get them out of the cell tray and into your 1 gallon pots and you'll see them start to grow faster. as bamboo6 say's keep them sheltered for a few day's then full sun ok. I've grown hundreds of boo from seed and it sounds like your doing fine so far.

Bookmark   July 15, 2006 at 6:29PM
succulentfreak(N. CA - Z8)

Great! Thank you both for your info. Looks like I have the next couple of weeks planned for me! Amy

Bookmark   July 15, 2006 at 7:25PM
More Discussions
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
growth speed and how to grow moso and giant bamboo?
Hi everyone! I just orderd some Moso bamboo seeds(EDULIS/PUBESCENCE)...
BalanceA
Grasses
Do grasses ( like miscanthus and others) need a lot...
els60
Are giant black java seeds real or scam?
I have 15 seeds sprouted from a seller with good ratings...
humboldt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™