Musa Basjoo Banana Plantation?

breinhart(z7 Central VA)July 17, 2007

We planted two small pups a year ago, cut them off at 2 feet last fall and covered them with large plastic garbage cans filled with leaf mulch. They wintered over just fine and have each grown about 4 feet since we uncovered them. We have pups, in some cases half the size of the mother plant. We are going to transplant some but can the others be left as is right next to the primary plant? We are growing them for the foliage as that fits in with the tropical theme at our pool. I am a little leery about moving a pup that is 3 feet tall and almost as thick as the mother plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsmith2579(7B)

It will transplant without any problems. YOu may want to dust the open wound on the "bulb" with powdered sulfur to cauterize the wound and prevent possibility of rot. Otherwise it should do fine.

Bookmark   July 18, 2007 at 12:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hibiscus909(7)

One thing to remember is that you want your transplant to get established before winter comes. If it's not too hot (maybe you have a little shade, too?), hopefully it will do OK. The others can be left by the mother, no problem.

seahorse'>seahorse

Bookmark   July 19, 2007 at 5:38PM
More Discussions
Does anyone actually have a tree that produces 'fruit' up north?
I was wondering if there is such a thing as growing...
meyermike_1micha
Hard freeze on 12' ensete bananas, zone 4
What a difference a day makes! One day, it looks like...
arctictropical
When can I ID?
I acquired four banana pups last fall when a local...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
Digging Musa basjoo
My 10-year-old musa mother plant has now become a banana...
rainydaywoman_z8
unknown banana
Hello, I got a banana plant and was pretty excited...
sunshine34662
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™