My seeds germinated!

mikey33(5b Ont.)May 2, 2010

Well I had the seeds sitting on the counter for about a month, and I decided to do the flotation method. I used a 4 gallon (16 litres) or so white plastic bucket, and stuck in a submersible aquarium heater. Even though the heater is on lowest setting the water temp must be at least 90 degrees F. About 2 weeks in I checked them and decided to top off the water and saw that 50% had roots. And the others were "plumping up". Then I noticed algae in the bottom of my bucket, and decided to clean it and do a complete water change. I would have throw in a little Hydrogen Peroxide had I found it...Maybe tomorrow. I figured without a heater my water temps would have been 50 deg. F, so opted for a heater. I will transplant when I have 1 cm long leaves showing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Mike,
If you start them in the house, then the water would be warmer...! Sounds like you did a great job. Now remember, when you transplant them to soil, you'll have to keep them very moist, since that's what they are used to...at least for a while. Seedlings never like to dry out.

What cross or self are the seeds from??
GREAT JOB!
Kristi

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 7:57AM
e36yellowm3(7 Raleigh, NC)

Mikey, that's great news! Congrats. I've never tried flotation but that might be the answer for some of the more stubborn seeds that haven't germinated for me. Alana

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 9:20AM
mikey33(5b Ont.)

I think they are Novella x self or Novella x Apple Blossom. I did start them in the house, but my basement floor (for a lack of space) is cold, cold, cold. I think I will use a coconut coir and perlite mix. 50/50. That should keep them moist. But I am not transplanting until I see leaves. I am supposing Amaryllis form true leaves as opposed to cotyledons right off the bat. Correct if I am wrong. What bites is I have to move in October. I don't even know where to yet.

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 7:40PM
mikey33(5b Ont.)

I am wrong. Amaryllis do indeed form cotyledons. They are classified as Monocotyledoneae.

Class Monocotyledoneae: Monocots

Flower parts in 3's or multiple of 3's; one cotyledon inside seed; parallel leaf venation; includes Lilium, Amaryllis, Iris, Agave, Yucca, orchids, duckweeds, annual grasses, bamboos and palms.

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 7:47PM
donnaa2z

Another cool way to germinate Amaryllis seed is to place them between damp folded paper towels in a container, unsealed. I mean damp to the point of dripping water. I do many different types of seed this way.

Donna

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 11:09PM
More Discussions
My new addition ... Voodoo
Can someone please tell me about voodoo? Is it a good...
jessiann63
Success at last
I love this 5 inches flower I have been working on...
brigarif Khan
Just opened today
H. Jewel, H. Papilio, and H. Montecarlo. H. Giraffe...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Blooms
Some of my blooms. Have way too many flowering bulbs...
Jesse Ortiz
Coming to life
My Amaryllis beds are coming to life
brigarif Khan
Sponsored Products
Wood Sandstone Granite Vessel Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Alera BCS78436 Square Corner Wood Veneer Bookcase - ALEBCS78436MY
$459.99 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Caprice Collection Lady Bug 5' x 5' Round
Home Depot
Jamie Young 7"W Gradient Celadon Mini Pendant Light