advice on cultivars

andy_p(6)July 19, 2010

Hi,

I'm planning on planting bamboo in a large pot (about 30" in diameter" in the ground to control spread. I'm in zone 6 and I'd like something that grows fairly quickly and gets to about 20 feet tall and would look good behind a mixed border.

Any suggestions?

Thanks -

Andy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
madake(8-Washington)

Try YellowGrove... but in a 30" pot I don't know if you can get the height your after. Also, pots on running bamboo tend to choke off the plant, so you would want to pull it out of the pot and split it up every few years.
Madake

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 12:06PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

I'm assuming you mean that you would use a plastic utility pot, with vase-shaped sides, which is a requirement for the inevitable re-potting: any pot used must have the top opening as the largest diameter or it will be nearly impossible to remove the bamboo from it once the woody rhizomes expand out to the sides. Also, be aware that a 30" diameter root ball will be extremely hard to get out of the ground for dividing and re-potting. Lastly, while the pot will probably be good for containment, there is the possibility that a rhizome may at some point slip out of a drain hole. However, if this happens it is not a big deal as it can be chopped off and pulled out of the ground once it becomes evident.

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 1:33PM
madake(8-Washington)

Can you get a 20ft height out of a 30" pot? If so then I have hope for some of my bamboo :).

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 4:55PM
kentuck_8b(__)

I grew B. oldhamii to over 22 feet in height in a 14 inch pot.

Kt

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 10:40PM
madake(8-Washington)

22ft... that's good sized for a small pot. Everything I have in pots only reaches about 10 feet b4 I have to pull out and re-plant... of course most of my plants are runners except for the indoor plants (I tend to start my runners in pots and then move 'em out when they... well move out of the pot so to speak). I have yet to try B. oldhamii indoors (I think our Seattle winters would kill it outdoors) but now I want to get some :).

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 1:25PM
madake(8-Washington)

22ft... that's good sized for a small pot. Everything I have in pots only reaches about 10 feet b4 I have to pull out and re-plant... of course most of my plants are runners except for the indoor plants (I tend to start my runners in pots and then move 'em out when they... well move out of the pot so to speak). I have yet to try B. oldhamii indoors (I think our Seattle winters would kill it outdoors) but now I want to get some :).

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 2:25PM
andy_p(6)

Madake,

Thanks for the suggestion. Can you suggest a good source for Yellow Grove?

Andy

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
Strange leaves on Oldhamii, wondering whats up and then boom!
So all my bamboo has been looking ever so green and...
littlepepperboy
My well water & bamboo
I posted this issue under the thread "Bamboo turning...
mikess
Best Zone 8 timber bamboo
Hi guys, I live on a few acres in South Mississippi,...
jdsokol
Bamboo for Privacy in Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I'm a bamboo rookie but I'm redoing...
dform
Are giant black java seeds real or scam?
I have 15 seeds sprouted from a seller with good ratings...
humboldt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™