Question about pollinating double

bunnynomnom(zone 10a)May 8, 2013

I got a bunch of 36+ cm "unknown striped" bulbs at a discount and it turned out that they are Dancing Queen! Well, I want to pollinate them, but not sure of the correct flower anatomy. I know many said doubles are dead-ends, but I see some curly parts that may look like a stigma?

They are really pretty although the colors are not as deep and the stalks are short, probably due to stress, but the surprising thing is that the flowers are slightly fragrant! Not sure if that's normal or just my biased nose :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bunnynomnom(zone 10a)

Also, I want to cross Charisma (a beautiful mislabel that I love so much!) with Dancing Queen's pollen. Would the ploidy be okay?

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 5:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dondeldux

Hi My,

Put Dancing Queen on Charisma, hopefully you took Charisma's pollen off in time as I've found that the short stigma often get selfed with no help! This cross should take and give you some bright flashy flowers..Charisma (for me anyway) always makes nice fat seedpods that produce good seeds. Wait until Charisma's stigma has curled up and is begging for pollen and then dab the pollen several times over a few days...

As for getting seedpods on Dancing Queen, you would have to find a fully formed stigma, not one attached to one of the petals and not a partial one. This is not impossible, but very doubtful but, you should get the same results using Charisma as the seed parent.

My Dancing Queen was slightly fragrant and it was hubby that discovered it, he has a habit of sticking his nose in all my flowers!! ;-)

Let us know how you make out...

Donna

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 12:15PM
More Discussions
Benfica x Royal Velvet – full blooded dark red
The offspring of my two darkest varieties, Benfica...
hippiezep
Mr. Patchy
Both flowers have these white patches, non other around...
brigarif Khan
Do I need to repot my amaryllis. Did so last May. It prospered.
I got advice here last May or so, and repotted it....
michelange2
Friday night....star and group photos
Well, we aren't the only one who likes H. Night Star...group...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Need ID help
I rescued this NOID from a local garden center yesterday....
jessiann63
Sponsored Products
Henri De Rivel Rivella Paris Dressage Flocked Saddle - 2024-R04S175
Hayneedle
Rachel Latte Fusion Jack Bronze Mini Pendant
$371.52 | Bellacor
Sloan modern accent chair
Interior Define
Modern Fan Company | Gusto Ceiling Fan
$384.00 | YLighting
Mississippi State Bulldogs 20-Oz. Mason Jar & Lid
$9.99 | zulily
AICO Furniture - Vizcaya Leather and Fabric Upholstery Armless...
Great Furniture Deal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™