Indoor Bamboo

sp0ng3rJuly 3, 2009

I am looking for indoor bamboo. It will obviously be staying in a pot and I am looking for something that will do well either near a window or even not by one (either is fine). I love bamboo, but do not want to plant it in my yard as it will likely take over. What different types of bamboo will do well indoors and not die out or get browned tips. I am looking for as many species that will work. I want to take a look at my options then decide between them. If someone could direct me in the right direction as to which species will work, and the pros/cons of each in regards to them being indoors.

Thank you in advance for everyone's help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

I would stick with a tropical species if it's for the house. I would suggest either Bambusa vittata or Bambusa multiplex as I have had both survive in the house long term. I'm not sure how the temperate species (Phyllostachys for example) would do in the home without a real Winter.

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 3:48PM
sp0ng3r

I just ran across this website. I really like the look of the green onion bamboo. How well does everyone feel that this site is accurate, and do you agree with the green onion bamboo being a good indoor bamboo?

http://www.lewisbamboo.com/indoor-bamboo.html

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 9:44AM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Lewis Bamboo is a reliable vendor, and this bamboo does well in shady conditions, so it is fine for indoors. It has persistent culm sheaths (the papery wrappings) so you may want to pull those off when they become loose if you don't like that look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Culm sheaths

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 11:04AM
sp0ng3r

Thanks!

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 12:55PM
coolshare(z9 CA,San Jose)

If you can give them a break (taking them out for a few months in winter), you are not limited to those named "indoor".

Here is what I did for Tiger

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 6:24PM
More Discussions
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
Anyone growing Sasa palmata in zone 6A?
I want to screen part of our property and don't want...
mersiepoo
Screening bamboo?
Don't know much about bamboo (except not to use the...
florananny
Strange leaves on Oldhamii, wondering whats up and then boom!
So all my bamboo has been looking ever so green and...
littlepepperboy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™