The onion harvest

campvJuly 1, 2013

I only have a little more to do and will be done with the onions.
Still have some in the garage but I am starting to get burned out.
I have dried them, chopped them and frozen them. My hands smell like onions.
FYI- If you need a cool dark place to store veggies w/out contamination, this thick plastic tub w/lid works great in the bottom of the frig.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Wow, they look GREAT! You have a great harvest there! What varieties did you grow again? I'm super envious of the harvest, and how you're preserving/keeping them. You're good! I love me some onions, hah! Thanks for sharing the fun harvest! Keep the garden updates coming!

Take care,
Grant (with onion envy!)

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 10:15AM
campv

Thanks for the very nice complement. Walla Walla sweets and large red ones(no name).I ended up with over 100.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 3:26PM
sundrop07(9b)

Very nice harvest, I love growing onions. I grew the Texas 1015 and Red Burgundy this year and they did great in spite of what I thought was a late planting. Do you dry or freeze all of them or keep some for fresh? I have a couple of boxes in my dining room hoping they'll keep for a couple more months but I check them daily and if they feel a little soft I'll just cook and freeze them. I just ordered more seed to start soon for planting in Dec. or Jan. along with leeks, love them too!

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 5:13PM
campv

Sundrop-Ref the photo- I chop/ freeze some/ use the dehydrator on some and then I am putting the fresh ones in the container in the bottom of the refrigerator.
I know we got it bad as far as storage, no basement or cold storage area, and with this heat! Last year I got to keep fresh ones up until Sept using the refrig and plastic box. I never knew about either of the onions you grew. Would you give me a little info about both, might want to try them.
Thanks

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 6:55PM
sundrop07(9b)

campv, I have one of those small cheap dehydrators and may try drying some with that but will also cook and freeze some. Do you freeze them raw? Yes, it's a challenge keeping them cool in this heat but so far they're doing okay. I buy seeds and start them for transplanting in a few months, they grow pretty slowly and I like to have good sized, 1/8 to 1/4 in diameter plants to set out. I didn't plant mine til the first week of Feb. and still got some softball sized ones, the reds are baseball sized but very good. I want to get them planted about a month earlier next year though. This is where I bought the seeds and information on the ones I grew: http://sustainableseedco.com/short-day-onions/

This post was edited by sundrop07 on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 14:54

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 2:52PM
sundrop07(9b)

I guess I didn't add the link correctly, sorry about that. I'll try again. Check out the short day onion selections.

Here is a link that might be useful: sustainable seed co

This post was edited by sundrop07 on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 14:58

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 2:57PM
campv

Note the red ones do not dry as well in the dehydrator, mine had a very hard time and took 2 days, don't know why, only did a few bags. The walla walla's did great. I think chopping and freezing them raw is faster. I just peel/chop them put them on a cookie sheet and freeze them. When hard(1/2hr) I fill up the freezer bag and back in the freezer they go. This way it keeps the onions separate and you can just reach in the bag and get a handful, other wise they may be come one big onion in the freezer bag. I will not be able to plant onions until the end of March it can get to 12deg. here in the Verde Valley. Thanks for the link

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 5:56PM
sundrop07(9b)

you're welcome, and thanks for the freezing info.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 4:44PM
More Discussions
Boojum tree
Hello! I was at the botanical gardens the other day...
mastergardenator
Rubber plant
I would like to transplant my rubber plant from a pot...
jnine
Ever grow melons in containers?
Ok, so my eyes were a lot bigger than my gardening...
captaininsano
Gardenia help needed
I have bought a potted gardenia plant from Home Depot...
moutia_k
Lizards eating tomatoes?
After several failed attempts, I've finally gotten...
kstrittmater
Sponsored Products
Country Harvest Popcorn Portion Packs for 6-ounce Machine (Case of 24)
Overstock.com
MaxLite MLFP24EP4535 Edge Lit LED Flat Panel, 3500K
EnvironmentalLights.com
Stainless Steel Odor Remover
$4.99 | zulily
Stickbulb | 4 Foot Horizontal Wall Sconce
YLighting
Domo Pendant by LZF
$1,740.00 | Lumens
Hampton Bay Recessed Lighting Autumn 6 in. Harvest Gold Recessed Can Trim 29011
$29.00 | Home Depot
Harvest Gold - Satin Dark Gray Shade Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Brentwood Ornate Cast Brass Chandelier with Golden Teak Majestic Wood Polished C
Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™