Leafless plant with fruit

dghays(Z10A FL Brevard)July 4, 2006

I have a plant with a bunch of fruit, and it had lost all its leaves in late winter. I assume it does no harm and probably will continue to nourish the fruit as the stem holding the fruit is still green, even though it has fallen down somewhat and is hanging low. Any experience with this situation? The fruit are rounded out enough to pick, but I'd like them to tree ripen mostly.

Gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joereal(Ca z9/SS z14)

What you can do is to trim off any brown sheaths, cut those out and remove, exposing only the green live sheaths. You need evey square inch of photosynthesizing plant tissue. You can also cut off half of the number of banana fruits and throw away if you want bigger sizes that will ripen on your plant.

Most resource are stored in the corm and the trunk, so it is really not a surprise that for us banana growers in the colder areas can have just fruits without any leaves after the winter season.

Also explains why we would never achieve yield higher than those in the tropics or warmer areas.

Bookmark   July 5, 2006 at 8:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dghays(Z10A FL Brevard)

Thanks for the good ideas. Its probably within a week or so of harvest now. Most winters any more are mild enough to not set back my trees much, but we had a big frost in late Feb. This bunch of fruit has been on since early last fall, quite a long time!

Gary

Bookmark   July 7, 2006 at 12:29PM
More Discussions
Banana fruiting stopped at 3 hands, now what?
My banana tree finally flowered, we were so excited....
darkmorning
Banana pup ID
Could you guys tell me what species of banana this...
Conor_S.
Hundreds varieties of banana in Thailand
Though I'm Thai, it was last week at our local ornamental...
stephania
When can I ID?
I acquired four banana pups last fall when a local...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
Thinking about buying a dwarf edible banana tree.
Hello everyone. I'm thinking about purchasing a dwarf...
Citruslover1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™