I've got no peppers!!!

smurph43July 6, 2009

I live in the valley and I have a side box garden. This is my first year that I have had a garden and I started all my plants from seeds. Wow!! I have had some great results with tomato's, string beans, and cherry tomato's. My problem that I am having is that I have great looking bell pepper plants but no fruit. I have seen many flowers come and go and still no pepper. My garden box is on the side and gets a good amount of sun. I water them everyday and everything else is providing fruit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

High temps affect the setting of fruit on regulator tomatoes, peppers and squashes. If your reg. tomatoes are not setting fruit now then hight temps is the problem.

Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 3:58PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

I agree, it sounds like the heat. It causes a lot of tomato/pepper pollen to not be viable. Maybe your tomatoes bloomed earlier in the year and were able to set fruit? Now that the big heat is here, neither one is probably setting NEW fruit.

I keep my tomato plants going into early summer when the last of their winter/spring fruit ripens, then I rip them out for summer. Peppers, though, I do tend to keep longer since the small-fruited types (usually hot) hold up pretty well in the heat.

Let us know what you think.
Take care,
Grant

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 7:46PM
bucks(9 Arizona)

Just sit tight. Once the weather cools the flowers will stay on and set fruit. Our best months for picking peppers is October and November!

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 10:59AM
More Discussions
Is this a good or bad caterpillar?
Is this a good or a bad caterpillar? It's on my petunias....
greendreamhome
Cats in my garden beds
We got new neighbors who let there two cats run wild. How...
campv
Bad Bad Bad
This site is not very good !!!
campv
green landscaping maintenance co sought
Hi all, I converted my yard to partial desert landscaping...
drmeow3
Spinach, swiss chard - something eating holes in leaves
I don't see any critter on the plants during the day,...
art_in_ov
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™