Bamboo Newbie - How do I thin, etc.?

everythingirl1July 24, 2009

Hi everybody. I am a bamboo newbie- I bought a 10 gal. bambusa bamboo on clearance from Home depot last year. They told me it was clumping, but I am really not sure.

It had mealy bugs and I just sprayed it with organocide- figuring if it survives, great. If not, no biggie bc it was very cheap. I planted it in a far corner of the yard where it gets brutal full sun. Amazingly, it survived all year, leafed out considerably, and this year it sent up a 15' shoot within a matter of weeks. It is just now branching out. Amazing.

The lower part of the plant just has the same culms it came with - each about 4-5' tall. Do I need to thin the bamboo out so that it looks like those stands where you can clearly see the bamboo poles coming out of the ground? How do I thin (cut culms at the base, etc.?)

Also, what PH does bambusa like? What type of fertilizer? I have given it about 4-5 fish emulsion feedings in the past year (foliar spray) but I just read online that bamboo loves fertilizer.....should I fert. more often?

I planted several slash pines nearby- will the bambusa be okay with the acid loving pines?

THANKS!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Bamboo tolerate variations in pH, and don't usually need fertilizer once established, although what you're using is fine. You can thin it whatever way you want as it won't hurt the plant...just be aware that whatever branches you prune out will not regrow. Home Depot often mislabels bamboo, so whether you have a clumping bamboo or not may take a few years to find out.

Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 12:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fredgpops(z9 N/ CA)

Best not to thin a new plant for a couple of years. General rule on thinning mature plants is to take out 1/3 of the plant per year focusing on removing mature culms only. Rgds

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 4:00PM
More Discussions
Will remove unwanted bamboo in nc
Hey all, My team and I willing to remove a mature bamboo...
bamboohunter
Bamboo for Privacy in Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I'm a bamboo rookie but I'm redoing...
dform
my new planted bamboo is dying.... I think
hey guys, this is Alex from Mexico, Baja, my zone is...
steelfish
My well water & bamboo
I posted this issue under the thread "Bamboo turning...
mikess
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™