Musa Basjoo growing 1 foot a week

lee466July 11, 2007

I've had a musa basjoo since the begining of june, and it didn't grow an inch for 2 weeks, and in the middle of june it started growing 1 foot a week, and now it is double in size now, it is 4 foot tall, and it has 3 suckers. It now has a new leaf coming out, and I first saw signs of it 3 days ago, and it is 4 1/2 foot wide, and it doesn't have any damage.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nyssaman(Z6 ON)

I wish mine would do that - I have 2 both growing like snails - mind you I think they are beginning to take off as they are both established at this point - what did you do to your soil? what is your watering regime with them - I dug out about 1.5 feet by 1.5 feet about 1 foot deep then the soil I removed mixed mulch , horticultural sand and fish compost - then I mixed in an organic fertiler called power bloom that has bat guano and green sand and other goodies in it then I threw the ammended soil back in the hole and planted the pup gave it a good watering - I water when it is very hot regularly but when the temp is between 70-80 I let 2-3 days go by with just a light watering on the 2 or third day.

cheers

Jeff

Bookmark   July 12, 2007 at 1:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lee466

When I planted it, I put decomposed oak mulch around the rootball, and everytime I do that they grow faster. I put 2 tbsp of 15-30-15 expert gardener all purpose fertilizer to 2 gallons of water, and I also use superthrive with the fertilizer, and use the full 2 gallons on one banana plant, and fertilize it every week. I also have it on the west side of the house, so it is getting alot of afternoon sun, and I water it when I fertilize it, and I live in a humid climate so I don't have to water as often, but if your not in a humid climate I would water more because they will dry out quicker in a drier climate.
Lee

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 4:05PM
More Discussions
Banana plant is dying, what is wrong?
Hello all! I bought this banana plant a couple of months...
rweiss
Banana variety
Plan on planting a couple bananas of different maturity...
bjakeky
yellow and brown edges on banana leaves
Hello all, I have a dwarf cavendish banana plant which...
sabine_farm
How big are your zebrinas
On the Going Bananas site it says 6-8 ft but of course...
sfhellwig
Brand new to bananas, please help identify!
I'm in zone 6, so this baby will never go outside,...
lilmizscareall
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™