MOSO Seed Germination!

ivillage_rexJuly 28, 2008

Hi there everyone. I'm new to theses forums and this is my first post. I hope I'm posting this in the correct section (-.-;). Exactly 14 days ago, I started on my little at-home Moso bamboo seed germination project. I live in Seattle and I know this isn't the best place for Moso to grow, but 300 seeds for $13 USD on eBay was just too good of a deal to pass up! The method I used for seed preparation:

Rinse-

Soak in 10% Saltwater for 5 minutes (I filled a small cup with tap water and dumped it into a bucket (9 times) and after that, I filled the same cup with salt and dumped it into the bucket as well to create a solution that consisted of roughly 10% salt)-

Rinse-

Soak in tap water for 20 minutes-

I filled a clear plastic box that used to hold roast beef (bought from Safeway) to 1 inch above the bottom of the container with MiracleƂGro Potting Soil purchased from Lowe's. The box measures about 6'' x 4.5 '' x 2.5''. I moistened the soil a little bit and mixed it up with a chopstick.

Next, I placed 10 prepared seeds in 2 rows inside the box on top of the soil. I wasn't sure whether or not I was supposed to stick them in upright with the pointy end facing upwards towards the sky, so I opted not to. I placed them flat against the soil like so:

l l l l l

l l l l l

and covered them with about 0.5'' of the same soil.

Today, 2 skinny sprouts struck out of the soil! I'm very excited about this!!! I have a question for you guys. How long should I wait for until I transplant them into different containers? If anyone would like to see pictures I'll take some post them up, just let me know.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ivillage_rex

Oh no guys! I planted 10 seeds. 3 has germinated so far but 1 sprout has reached the lid of the container! What should I do? If I remove the lid, the humidity will decrease drastically and this might stunt the germination of the other seeds :(. Help~

Bookmark   August 1, 2008 at 3:24AM
MacDaddy(z6a NY)

Prick out the germinated seedling an place it in a larger pot with more soil. I like using recycled 32 ounce strofoam cups with potting soil in them.

Bookmark   August 3, 2008 at 8:09PM
ivillage_rex

Bad news!!! The container I had them in fell off the window ledge and all the dirt/seedlings flopped onto my carpet and computer monitor last night. I fixed up a tub of new potting soil and transplanted them into it as fast as possible, but I know they're not supposed to be moved while they're young. This morning, I checked to see how they were doing. Out of the 3 seedlings, one of them has its single leaf drying up. It's not brown, but it's leaf is accumulating crinkles! I need help guys :(! What should I do?

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 3:27PM
More Discussions
home terrasse
need help for my home terrasse
linabichebl
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
Do Barriers Work?
Hello - I live in Maryland - zone 7 and am about to...
mdbamboo
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
Screening bamboo?
Don't know much about bamboo (except not to use the...
florananny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™