how do I get rid of bamboo?

KathyWIJuly 28, 2012

Running bamboo is taking over a property I recently moved to. PLEASE help! I have been trying to get rid of this all summer. The patch is proabably 30' x 40' and killing everything in its path of destruction. Constant cutting does not work. Short of renting heavy equipment and digging out the whole area what will kill this stuff?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Nothing will kill it, so don't poison the ground with chemicals trying to do so. You have two choices: 1) dig it all out; 2) cut it all down, mow or cut down anything new that comes up, and keep on watering and mowing until it exhausts itself and nothing new comes up (which may take more than a year).

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 4:15PM
stevelau1911

If it is in an open area I would simply suggest lopping every culm down to soil level then plant some grass seed and keep that area mowed. For the parts that the mower doesn't reach, I would suggest digging those out.

It can take until next year to exhaust the rhizome system depending on what species it is but as long as survival shoots keep emerging a bit smaller each time, the energy is getting depleted and you are getting closer to eradicating the wholeplant.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 6:50AM
jade_man(P.A. zone 5)

you can also put an add on Craig's list or something similar for free dig your own bamboo.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 6:30AM
More Discussions
If selling bamboo - what to sell and how?
Greetings all! We have just aquired a home that has...
littlebamboozdo
Strange leaves on Oldhamii, wondering whats up and then boom!
So all my bamboo has been looking ever so green and...
littlepepperboy
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
top ten favorite bamboos
I'm relatively new to this forum and somewhat new to...
jeremy88
Will remove unwanted bamboo in nc
Hey all, My team and I willing to remove a mature bamboo...
bamboohunter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™