best tool to cut off bamboo branches(m)

teeka0801July 3, 2009

I have bought all sorts of pruning tools and can't seem to find one that will work well cutting bamboo branches off of the culms.

Also, which is the best way to cut down a culm (1-2 inches in diameter?)? I have a hand saw but that is just not working.

thanks.teeka

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

For branches, a high quality hand pruner like Felco. For culms, a lopping pruner, and best if it's a racheting model.

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 9:35PM
Mary Palmer

If you are trying to limb up a bamboo, I like to use a fine toothed Japanese pull saw. I lightly undercut the branch right where it joins the culm and then snap off the branch from the top. It leaves a really nice clean smooth finish with no stub. Don't undercut too deep, just a little.

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 12:39PM
teeka0801

should I get a FELCO lopping pruner but doesn't seem to have the ratchet feature?

Other brands have the ratcheting,but they are not the FELCO brand.

I saw a FELCO lopper that cuts up to 1.8 inches and there's only that one model that cuts that type of diameter, but not ratcheting.

Pls advise.thanks.

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 3:47PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Felco makes high quality tools, and it's worth it to have one of their hand pruners as it will last you many years. While I'm sure their lopping pruners are great, that's a lot of money for a lopper. Here is the inexpensive, non-Felco, racheting model I have that has worked fine for me with bamboo and tree branches.

Here is a link that might be useful: HF lopper

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 7:07PM
ivillage_rex

Hey Gil, have you been to Kubota garden? I saw quite a few different types of bamboo species growing there!

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 7:46PM
teeka0801

OMG, all the $$$$ I spent on those HD pruners, what a waste and this one is AMAZING!

I even found a left-handed version and I was pruning away today...this is going to change my life and my entire relationship w/ my bamboo:)

I also bought the loppers you recommended and I'm waiting to get those and try them out...I desperately need to cut some culms down that are just too close to my neighbor's fence.

Thanks so much for bringing me up a notch in terms of garden tools.
teeka

Bookmark   July 13, 2009 at 1:26PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

teeka-
Glad to hear that. I'm quite frugal, but sometimes you need to spend the money for a quality tool. Now, just learn how to sharpen the blade with a sharpening stone and touch it up every couple of months, and you won't have to replace the cutting blade for a long time.

The ratcheting pruners take a little practice to use: at first my wife didn't like them, but, once she got the hang of it, I couldn't get them away from her...

Bookmark   July 13, 2009 at 6:42PM
teeka0801

I *LOVE* them!!!!!

OMG, my life is forever changed in the garden.

I cut down a dozen culms and chopped them into manageable sizes (and my two lab puppies LOVE to chew on them,too!) and after 2 1/2 yrs of not knowing how I was going to manage my bamboo, I feel like I have control over my garden once again.

Of course, ideally I'd get to the culms I didn't want when they are just coming up, but they come up so fast I don't notice them till they are 20' tall and leaning into the neighbor's yard.

Thanks again, now I just need to keep them razor sharp..I guess I'll get online to learn how to do that.

teeka

Bookmark   July 19, 2009 at 1:10PM
missmary33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ASDfcP56II&feature=player_embedded

clip on how to cut branches:) enjoy

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboobill how to cut branches

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 10:27PM
new2zone9a

I prefer either a chain saw or a bat'leth.

As to the Bamboobill how to cut branches video...

Socks with flip flops on the job? I don't know who to alert first: the fashion police or OSHA.

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 2:13AM
mitsieroscoe

OMG!!! you have got to get the BLACK & DECKER
18V Electric Cordless Alligator Lopper. This is PERFECT for bamboo. I do not think that there could be any other cutter out there that can even compare! I got mine at Home Depot and LOVE IT!!!

Bookmark   October 21, 2010 at 9:10PM
alan_l(6)

Perfect for bamboo how? Removing branches (the topic of this thread)? Cutting culms off at ground level?

Bookmark   October 22, 2010 at 10:34AM
tcstoehr

An 18 volt reciprocating saw is *very* useful for cutting off culms at ground level. I prefer loppers in general, but sometimes you don't have the proper angle and clearances necessary to spread the handles and close them down.

Bookmark   November 2, 2010 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
What's Wrong With My Bamboo?
Hey all, I'm a brand new member and this is my first...
PacNWbalconyGrower
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
Do Barriers Work?
Hello - I live in Maryland - zone 7 and am about to...
mdbamboo
If selling bamboo - what to sell and how?
Greetings all! We have just aquired a home that has...
littlebamboozdo
More on Bamboo Flooring - Ouch!
Check out this link - it is rather scathing! http://www.finishing.com/260/96.shtml...
hoosier52
Sponsored Products
Helix Chrome Concealed Thermostatic Twin Shower Faucet Valve 1 Outlet
Hudson Reed
J&M Furniture 5069 Sectional Left Hand Facing in Olive
Beyond Stores
ViaVolt Garden Tools 15 in. 150-Watt White Greenhouse Plant Grow Light System
Home Depot
Runner Heriz Tribal Love Red Hand Knotted Wool Serapi 3'x24' Oriental Rug H5356
BH Sun Inc
Dura-Trel Estate 7.75-ft. Vinyl Fan Trellis - Mocha - 11157M
$94.19 | Hayneedle