Rotten trunk on banana tree

dirteaterJuly 6, 2006

I have a 6 foot banana tree that was first planted in my North Carolina back yard last year and it did beautifully. Dug it up and overwintered inside and it continued to grow and flourish. This past April, I planted it back outside in same spot as last year however now it is struggling with growth (has only produced 1 new leaf in 2 months)and even more disturbing is the obvious rotting at the top of the trunk. It seemed that perhaps water was being trapped in the upper layers of the trunk where it peels back some so I peeled it back and removed rotten edges and followed a recommendation to water it with a solution of Epsom salt. Rot did not re-appear for a while but is now back. The leaves, though few, are healty and normal looking. The NC soil that it is planted in contains a lot of clay, though I did ammend it a bit when planting with manure and top soil. I'm not sure if tree is experiencing a drainage issue or if this is a disease. Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momo1(z10)

Chop the whole top of the tree of and keep cutting in off until you reach a point where you can no longer see any black inside. When I say cut it off, I mean actually take a saw and cut the trunk (pseudo stem) completely off toward the top and then you will be able to see all the separate rings that make up the trunk. The very center may show some black mush. Just keep on cutting slice by slice until you don't see the black mush anymore. If the corm has not rotted you will see new leaves emerge from the center and start growing normally again. I had to do this with my Ice Cream this year and it looks great now.

Bookmark   July 6, 2006 at 7:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dirteater

I'll give it a try. One of my neighbors that used to live in Costa Rica suggested the same thing.
Thank you for the advice! :)

Bookmark   July 23, 2006 at 12:47PM
More Discussions
Banana plant is dying, what is wrong?
Hello all! I bought this banana plant a couple of months...
rweiss
First banana plant
Heh, okay so i was watching my friend remove unwanted...
YouthGarden
Banana Question...
I bought a dwarf cavendish banana about 2 years ago,...
Dani74
Hundreds varieties of banana in Thailand
Though I'm Thai, it was last week at our local ornamental...
stephania
Looking for banana variety that can compete with apple bananas
I am looking for a couple of different cultivars to...
Axel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™