Wild edible plants

naturelover42(AZ9b Tucson)July 27, 2012

While researching the weeds in my Tucson garden, I happened upon this website below.

I think it is sad that our ancestors knew more about wild edible plants than we do and made good use of them. I've known for a long time that Dandelion leaves make great salads, but I never knew about these other "weeds" that I usually pull and throw into the compost.

I'm going to study this website and try to make good use of those pesky weeds if I can. I thought I would share with others.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild edible plants and recipes

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

Great site; I'll be looking for some more edibles in the yard. Anything salad that I don't have to buy is a winner for me. That goes for greens, too.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 2:22PM
xica_da_silva

Not really a weed but...are prickly pear cactus native to Arizona? Assuming they are, that's quite a nice edible.

I think some nice teas may also be possible. I believe I once had a tea called 'greenthread tea' that is commonly used by Navajo and Hopi tribes?

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 8:49PM
naturelover42(AZ9b Tucson)

Yes, prickly pear is edible and so are its fruits. Below is a link to an article about all its wonders.

I never ate it. Sometimes I imagine being lost in the wilderness dying of starvation and walking by (or stepping on) wild plants that could save my life and knowing nothing about them. Sad,eh?

Here is a link that might be useful: Prickly pear cactus

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 9:04PM
lazy_gardens

Some varieties of prickly pear - at some stages in their development - are marginally edible.

But if you don't get the right variety at the right stage you may as well be chewing green, bitter cardboard.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 8:03AM
More Discussions
placement of Gasteraloe
I scored yesterday on a 1.5 gallon gasteraloe at HD....
temperene
Can't believe those at DG wanting Blue Dawn vine
I don't belong to DG but once in a while read the SW...
haroldws
The Official AZ Tropical Fruit Trees Thread
Sorry for the monopoly on threads today. If anybody...
kccav
Time to take off frost protection?
I was tentatively planning to remove the frost cloth...
drmeow3
I still love this pot (Day Of The Dead talavera pot)
I've always been on the fence with all of the Day of...
grant_in_arizona
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™