Is it Musa Basjoo in NJ?

RafaelNJJuly 15, 2014

So I stopped by Home Depot on rt 23 yesterday and noticed they have banana trees for sale for sale, nice 3-4 foot trunks very cheap. So I decided to pick two of them and plant along 3 Basjoos I bought earlier this year online. The ones I got are putting out leaves like crazy and trunk is getting bigger but they don't seem to be getting any taller in size. So I wanted to give these a try, problem is I am not sure if they are Musa Basjoos? The plant just says Musa Banana on it and shows a house plant suitable for 60+ degree weather. I am attaching pictures and maybe someone could confirm for me that is more famialiar with these. They look the same to me but most bananas look the same. The little one next to the big one is one of the Basjoos I got online but is not doing as well as the other two as it was planted in place with little sun, I just replanted it a few days ago here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RafaelNJ

Here is another plant I got from HD I planted a foot deep as I want to try leaving it without protection in winter.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 8:13PM
RafaelNJ

And this is a Musa Basjoo I got online

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 8:14PM
subtropix

Those you got from HD are also basjoos. They are a nice banana as they sucker regularly and retain foliage into the Fall when other species will begin to shut down for the season.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 7:25AM
marsal

I just got a musa from HD which will put in the ground once the thunderstorm stops! It probably wont have time to bear any fruit. What do i do with it in the winter.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 3:21PM
subtropix

Musa Basjoo are overwintered by people into Zone 6. I bring mine into a 'cold greenhouse' in Zone 7 where it stays evergreen, but others just leave them in the ground and mulch.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
Musa Zebrina - Blood Banana - blooming photos
These 4 photos taken February 14, 2007: ..and the plant...
bananasdotorg
Hundreds varieties of banana in Thailand
Though I'm Thai, it was last week at our local ornamental...
stephania
Banana variety
Plan on planting a couple bananas of different maturity...
bjakeky
Digging Musa basjoo
My 10-year-old musa mother plant has now become a banana...
rainydaywoman_z8
Banana fruiting stopped at 3 hands, now what?
My banana tree finally flowered, we were so excited....
darkmorning
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™