Red abyssinian banana in container question

vp_78July 22, 2012

I recently moved into a house and along with it inherited many container plants, and I'm still trying to figure out how to best care for them. One of the plants we have is a red abyssinian banana (at least, I'm 95% sure it's a red abyssinian based on photos). The tree is currently planted in a half whiskey barrel on our front patio, but it's kind of in a bad spot because the fronds are now blocking our walkway, and as a result it keeps getting damaged.

I was thinking about either repotting it into another container (the whiskey barrel is kind of rotting away), or planting it into the ground, but either way, moving it to a different location.

Will I kill it if I do that? It's probably 7-8 feet tall, and has about 8 leaves right now. Also, will it ever fruit? Is there any way to guess when it will do so if I don't know the age of the plant? And would it be better to put it into another container, or right into the ground? Oh, and I'm in Southern California, btw.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christine1950

I dont have all the answers but I do know it will do much better in the ground and it will then grow like crazy.
Christine

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 9:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grullablue(5)

I agree, it will grow MUCH better in the ground. I have one here in WI, I have to bring it in for winter, but it's planted in the ground during the growing season. I LOVE it! We don't have a long enough growing season for it to flower/fruit, but from what I have read, they die after they do so....so not sure you want it to!

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 12:17PM
More Discussions
Banana fruiting stopped at 3 hands, now what?
My banana tree finally flowered, we were so excited....
darkmorning
Prepping the soil for banana plants
Hello, I have a nice space for about 2-3 dwarf Apple...
figsinhawaii
Digging Musa basjoo
My 10-year-old musa mother plant has now become a banana...
rainydaywoman_z8
When can I ID?
I acquired four banana pups last fall when a local...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
Banana Question...
I bought a dwarf cavendish banana about 2 years ago,...
Dani74
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™