What's wrong with my Royal velvet?

holantinaMay 3, 2010

Hi friends,

I have this Royal Velvet. It bloomed nicely last season. But look at those flowers this time! Anyone has an idea of what is going on here?

By the way, it bloomed with only two flowers, instead of 3 or 4.

Thanks in advance!

table style="width:auto;">Van Mijn amaryllissen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ryan820(z5b Denver, Colorado, USA)

I have a royal velvet. It's my largest bulb. But its also my most finicky. Looks like this one had some stress during bud development. Did you put it through a dormant period? I don't recommend it. RV does best when grown in a stable grow cycle without interruption. It's a strong grower but needs lots of light, water and food and to be let alone.

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 1:40PM
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

I had some that developed these spots, but turns out they were getting hit by the water from the sprinkler. I'm sure that didn't happen here (did it?), but it had me scratching my head for a minute when it happened to me.

Stress does odd things to the blooms!
K

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 9:10PM
holantina

You are right Kristi, scratching my head i am too.....Have never seen this before....
Kristi and Ryan, the bulb got a cool period in the container. It never went dormant and kept all the time at least 2 leaves. Before the cool period, i had repotted this RV in a mixture of regular container dirt with some bark and perlite. I did this because i was soooo sick and tired of fungus gnats and wanted to reduce the risk of rotting bulbs while experimenting with several potting mixes. Adding perlite and bark has improved draining a lot, but.... could it be because of the perlite? I read once somewhere that perlite has high content of some mineral... fluor? I don't remember anymore wich it was, i will try to remember.
Many thanks guys! If you or anyone have more ideas or suggestions, they are very welcome!

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 3:18AM
ryan820(z5b Denver, Colorado, USA)

I have a royal velvet. It's my largest bulb. But its also my most finicky. Looks like this one had some stress during bud development. Did you put it through a dormant period? I don't recommend it. RV does best when grown in a stable grow cycle without interruption. It's a strong grower but needs lots of light, water and food and to be let alone.

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 8:06AM
More Discussions
The 'wild' blue amaryllis
Been watching with great interest some online auctions...
bragu_DSM 5
Anyone order Sonatinis?
Did anyone order any Sonatini's?? I ordered 39 bulbs...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
id for orange amaryllis
I am looking for the botanical name for this orange...
linda_leaf z10fla
May Wonder
This is another Komoriya bulb that flowers for me every...
jstropic
Hippeastrum machupijchense pollen available
Figured it would be a waste to throw it out. My machupijchense bloomed...
brownest_thumb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™