shade bamboo?

scott24July 31, 2008

Just wondering if any of you know of a bamboo that could survive a north exposure, no sun. Prefer it to be clumping type. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bambookid524

Yes there are some. I don't have time to fully answer right now but if nobody answers before I am back (2 hrs) I will be glad to tell you all the species I know that can survive full shade.

-Steve

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 5:38PM
bambookid524

EEK.. Now that I have searched it, there aren;t really any that can survive full shade all day. Are you sure the spot doesn't get a little bit.

If it does, look here.

http://bambooweb.info/BrowseSSL.php?Units=M&Sort=Gs&Genus=All&DiaValue=+&HtValue=+&TempCompare=%3C%3D&TempValue=+&SunCompare=%3C%3D&SunValue=+2&Clumper=1&Match=AND&Button=GO

Look under the shade column. U is for unknown so don;t trust that those are shade plants.

2 Is very brief sunlight.

-Steve

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 8:41PM
boonanners

Large leaf japonica does best in shade of the runners I grow and is the least invasive, tends towards clumpiness, is drought tolerant and a great screener(15-18' tall).

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 10:10PM
subtropix

I have a few clumping bamboos that are growing with morning sun but the area is also shaded by an overhead oak and a large shed (on the south side). It seems that even the early morning sun makes these bamboos leaves fold, so I think they would make do without much sun at all. These clumpers are the following: Fargesia murielae, Fargesia robusta, and Fargesia rufa. Also have a specimen of Borinda angustissima that is an extremely attractive clumper (very fine, delicate-looking leaves). All are growing in the same location I described and should be fairly shade tolerant (all have a problem with too much sun in warm summer areas). Good luck!

Bookmark   August 1, 2008 at 8:47AM
kurt_southernbamboo_us

where are you located? I'll have to look at the historic climate in this area and let you know. The South is the best region to grown bamboo, and it doesn't matter if it's in the shade or not so long as it gets some direct sun light during the day you'll be okay.

Here is a link that might be useful: bamboo poles

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 10:52AM
More Discussions
Thick Canes, Small Clump
Two months ago I got an issue of Florida Gardening...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
blue bamboo?
I am looking for bamboo hardy to zone 7 with blue culms....
shane11
bamboo books?
I was wondering if anyone could recommend some books...
mersiepoo
my new planted bamboo is dying.... I think
hey guys, this is Alex from Mexico, Baja, my zone is...
steelfish
Do Barriers Work?
Hello - I live in Maryland - zone 7 and am about to...
mdbamboo
Sponsored Products
CAL Lighting s: 29 in. Metal Club in Dark Bronze BO-349-DB
$87.78 | Home Depot
4-Light Pendant Chestnut Bronze
PLFixtures
Dillion Polished Nickel One-Light Wall Sconce
$236.00 | Bellacor
Justice Design Group FAL-8522 - Tradition 2 Light Bath Bar - Round Flared Shade
$300.00 | Hayneedle
Plantation Burnished Brass One-Light Wall Sconce
$189.00 | Bellacor
Halo Lighting Shades 4 in. Aluminum Recessed Lighting Remodel CFL IC Air-Tite
$33.19 | Home Depot
Madera Black Iron Six Light Chandelier
$750.00 | Bellacor
Justice Design Group FSN-8704 - Aero 4 Light Bath Bar - Tapered Cylinder Shade -
$428.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™