Bamboo mealybug -Palmicultor lumpurensis

botanicalbill(9b SWFlorida)July 7, 2013

I have found that my bambusa malingensis' new shoots has this pest on them (note the link). I noticed that the shoots do not die off or seem to be stunned by them. My Bambusa Eutuldoides Viridi (Vittata) has some, but much less infestation.
My questions are, if left untreated, will this effect the bamboo?
If I treat can a folier spray such as bifenthrin be used? I have already drenched the new shoots coming up with bifenthrin.
What are my best options. I prefer not to put something on the ground because there is a lake 30 feet away. It would be a waste anyway, this time of year it is not uncommon to get 5+ inches of rain a day, it would all wash away.

Basically, what is my best bet to manage this during the rainy season in SW Florida.

Thanks for your time.
-Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: Palmicltor lumpurensis mealybug

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botanicalbill(9b SWFlorida)

photo 2/2

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 7:13PM
kentuck_8b(__)

Maybe spray with mild soap and water, but I never treat mine here, and they eventually go away without any harm to the bamboo.

Kt

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 8:29PM
kevlar68(9a)

Spinosad, 1 per week (it only affects adult stage). Use a "sticker" or some dish soap too. I'll usually work in some Neem oil as well.

This post was edited by kevlar68 on Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 21:05

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 8:55PM
kevlar68(9a)

@kentuck
don't you have problems with that honeydew growing sooty mold? Makes my AK unattractive if it gets to that stage...(P.S. I do use Bayer Tree & Shrub and that has helped A LOT, but seems like ...bill wanted something organic and topical.)

This post was edited by kevlar68 on Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 21:27

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 9:24PM
botanicalbill(9b SWFlorida)

The photo is one of my 5 rows of bamboo. This row has 4 bambusas, vulgaris, sea-breeze, asian lemon, and cungii. You can not see the chungii (further down) and the vulgaris (behind).

I have the aphids with the honeydew and the sooty mold too, but that doesnt seem to affect the growth. I would like to find something topical to use, not necessarily organic. I do not want a ground treatment because of the amount of rain we get this time of the year.
So, from what you guys are making me think is that these buggers are easy to kill, and not resistant to things such as bifenthrin (ortho). The surfactant I use is jet dry dishwasher stuff. Since I already have concentrated bifenthrin I can use this and not Spinosad.
Also, you guys are also saying that if I do nothing, this type of mealybug will not stun the bamboo.

Last question on this. I have lots of black shinny wasps around the bamboo. Are they feeding on the honeydew, aphids, or the mealybugs?

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 10:37PM
kentuck_8b(__)

Yes, I get the sooty mold on my AK, but it never lasts long since fireants carry it away and leave the bamboo clean.

Bill, the shiny wasps are apparently eating something but they are not harming the bamboo. I have them too. Nice hedgerow.

Kt

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
Is this a type of bamboo?
I am trying to identify this plant and would appreciate...
jdeamer
My well water & bamboo
I posted this issue under the thread "Bamboo turning...
mikess
Trans planting new shoots
Three years ago I transplanted bamboo in my yard. The...
Joecd
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™