Bamboo Roots - What do I do

kris10powellJuly 4, 2007

Ok, I am new to the Bamboo portion of gardening and the sweetest 75 year old lady gave me some roots from her clumping bamboo. I put them in a pot of dirt on Mothers day and have grown 1 cute shoot that is about 4 feet tall. I am guessing that only one of the roots lived and wonder is there something I should do to stimulate its growth? Or should I just hold my horses and wait for more to grow? I saw in some of the other threads that there are shooting seasons, what are the other seasons? I am too tired from gardening today to look it up in one of the gardening books and figure that someone here will save me some time and just tell me...

By the way, what is lucky bamboo for? someone gave that and my luck has not changed yet... Should I put it in a Buddha planter or something? (just joking, I saw there was another forum for that :)

Kristen, the bamboo killer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fluffy_bamboo(Zone 9)

I would just hold your horses and wait. Running bamboo growing season is spring and clumping in the summer. My bamboo's don't always follow that rule. You can feed it but not during the growing period. Lucky bamboo isn't really bamboo. I would check out that other site.

Bookmark   July 5, 2007 at 8:54AM
More Discussions
blue bamboo?
I am looking for bamboo hardy to zone 7 with blue culms....
shane11
top ten favorite bamboos
I'm relatively new to this forum and somewhat new to...
jeremy88
Is this a type of bamboo?
I am trying to identify this plant and would appreciate...
jdeamer
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™