B.vulgaris 'wamin', getting the internodes to swell

pianodoctor(CA 23/24)July 7, 2006

Hello,

I am looking for information on how (or if) I can coax an in-ground 'wamin' specimen to take on the characteristic bulging internodes.

The specimen showed the "Buddha Belly" shaped culms when I bought it (in a pot) locally. However in 2-3 years in the ground no further culms have the shape, though the plant is vigorous.

I used to have one of these in South Florida and the culms were fantastic. Now I am in near-coastal Southern California where there is a lot less heat accumulation and humidity than South Florida. I'm trying to find out what can be done to get the Buddha belly shape going.

I also have a B. ventricosa "Buddha Belly" and the key to the shape seems to be stressing it with minimal food and watering. However I have been told this will not be the way to get the B. vulgaris 'wamin' to 'belly out'.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hello_c_j_here(7 Cary, NC)

Hi, I have both plants here in NC too. The Buddha will divert back to "normal" straight growth once establised in the ground. The 3 large planter buddha's I have contine to grow with more and more distorted nodes and thicker culms. The ones in the ground are just getting taller with no real morphed look. They have only ben in the ground for 7 months so we'll have to wait and see. My Wamin is still very small and in a planter on the deck so I cant really make suggestions on that.
Take care
CJ

Bookmark   July 13, 2006 at 12:25PM
bihai(zone 9)

Hi Rick,
I have a small Wamin and was told that you have to keep it potted and rootbound to get the bulges. Obviously, if you had it in the ground in Miami and it had the bulges there, that's not true...but I don;t have much choice, I have o keep it containerized here in Gainesville because it isn't hardy

Bookmark   July 13, 2006 at 7:02PM
pianodoctor(CA 23/24)

A local expert here says the current thinking is to stress the ventricosa of water, not watering until the leaves show stress, but for the wamin, give it humidity and heat if possible.

I have definitely seen many excellent in-ground wamin specimens, but all in hotter more humid places than this. However I've got black rocks around the base of mine now, full sun, and irrigation every other day, so maybe that will do something. Biggest culms yet are just now poking above ground.

And.... Hello Bihai!

Regards,

Rick Clark

Bookmark   July 16, 2006 at 2:29PM
More Discussions
Is it possible to grow tall bamboo indoors?
I know *nothing* about bamboo, but I would love to...
tinan
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
Anyone growing Sasa palmata in zone 6A?
I want to screen part of our property and don't want...
mersiepoo
Bamboo for Privacy in Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I'm a bamboo rookie but I'm redoing...
dform
Trans planting new shoots
Three years ago I transplanted bamboo in my yard. The...
Joecd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™