Beekeeping and pesticides

CAPSfanJanuary 1, 2013

I live in a rural area, and in the middle of corn, cotton and bean fields. I was going to start to hives this year with nucs but not sure how the pesticides the farmers use on the crops would effect the bees. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charlieboring

My guess is that any pesticides will affect the bees. If you can determine when spraying is being done, you might be able to protect your hive by keeping them in the hives during that period. Keep water close to the hive and if there are lots of polin carrying plants nearer to the hives than the sprayed fields, you will lose less bees. Good advice from a professional beekeeper could be helpful. I am an amateur.

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 12:16PM
mierebucovina

Can local authorities will help in this regard. If you register with bee families, farmers will have to inform you when treated cultures. In this way you can prevent poisoning them with pesticides. Maybe he can lead them to not folosasca pesticides. How I do in my country. Now grown organic products and are very pleased. And I'm happy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mierea

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 12:09PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

You should be fine, allot of commercial bee keepers have their hives on farm sites.

Check with your local bee club and see what's done with these crops.
I think most of these crops you mentioned are sprayed when young for herbicides and it will be month before they're flowering.

It would be also good to get to know your neighbors to find out what they're spying,..if need be, you can lock them in early morning with window screen, on a hot day I would shade them with sheet of plywood.

Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 1:48AM
More Discussions
Location of Urban Apiary
Hello, I'm going to be constructing a 6 ft structure...
katetrav
What happened to our hive?
We are new beekeepers, starting two hives from two...
grovestead
Who am I?
Anybody know what this is? Is it a carpenter bee?
dr.liz
Colony Collapse Disorder
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I was just forwarded...
WestEnder
And I thought everything I read on the internet was true...
http://m.wikihow.com/Identify-Africanized-Honey-Bees Here...
naturewest
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™