Vacated Hive

hyrasol(CA9)January 16, 2005

I became the adoptive mother of a hive of bees when they moved in to a wall in my house (uninvited) this summer. I knew I needed to evict them but did not want to kill or harm them in doing so. Resources for this are seemingly non-existent in my area Northern California, East Bay Area and so the months passed while I tried to decide what to do. I know it's going to cost a pretty penny to get them to a new home and get my wall re-sealed but that's life the problem is that I can't find anyone to to the job. I called the one person in my vecinity who supposedly did this type of work back in Sept. I left messages and never got a return call. This last Friday I was out in that part of the yard and noticed the hive appeared deserted. There are no live bees present and there is no hum. Are they gone? What would cause them to just leave like that? And, most importantly, is my problem solved? Anyone who can give me some insight, please do!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tarheit(5b)

Sometimes bees will obscond or leave a hive. Usually this is because they have found the hive unsuitable (to hot a location, etc.) But it is more likely the hive simply died out due to mites or other disease.

I would bet given their short stay, and their demise that they didn't leave much (if any) honey in the wall so it can just be sealed up. If you are unsure, screen the opening (so bees can no longer get in our out), wait several months and see if you get a fermented/beer smell. If you do, then you will need to open up the wall and remove the honey.

I would guess you are in the clear though.

Bookmark   January 16, 2005 at 11:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moosewood_apiary

I agree w/ tarheit's comments posted 1/16/05. I would add that if the honeycomb is located near a heat source (chimney); you keep a close watch for any "spotting" of melting wax on walls, etc. If you see "spotting" take care of it ASAP.

Bookmark   February 7, 2005 at 9:27PM
More Discussions
Colony Collapse Disorder
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I was just forwarded...
WestEnder
first year bee keeping-Nevada
is there any one out there from my area first year...
cullen
Here's My First Mason Bee Hive
So other than needing more tubes to fill it is there...
minkies
Is this a mining bee?
East central Illinois. Mid-August on a cone flower...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
"How Your Bee-Friendly Garden May Actually Be Killing Bees"
http://www.wired.com/2014/06/garden-center-neonicotinoids/ Last...
subk3
Sponsored Products
Hive | Kai Rectangular Suspension Light
$950.00 | YLighting
Vacation Day Table Lamp Electric Outdoor Heater - EWTR890SP
$194.99 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Couristan Rugs Outdoor Escape Pacific Heights
Home Depot
Blue Distressed Homestead Frame
$11.99 | zulily
Heritage 3000 Series Wrinkle Resistant Sheet Sets
Overstock.com