Vacated Hive

hyrasol(CA9)January 16, 2005

I became the adoptive mother of a hive of bees when they moved in to a wall in my house (uninvited) this summer. I knew I needed to evict them but did not want to kill or harm them in doing so. Resources for this are seemingly non-existent in my area Northern California, East Bay Area and so the months passed while I tried to decide what to do. I know it's going to cost a pretty penny to get them to a new home and get my wall re-sealed but that's life the problem is that I can't find anyone to to the job. I called the one person in my vecinity who supposedly did this type of work back in Sept. I left messages and never got a return call. This last Friday I was out in that part of the yard and noticed the hive appeared deserted. There are no live bees present and there is no hum. Are they gone? What would cause them to just leave like that? And, most importantly, is my problem solved? Anyone who can give me some insight, please do!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tarheit(5b)

Sometimes bees will obscond or leave a hive. Usually this is because they have found the hive unsuitable (to hot a location, etc.) But it is more likely the hive simply died out due to mites or other disease.

I would bet given their short stay, and their demise that they didn't leave much (if any) honey in the wall so it can just be sealed up. If you are unsure, screen the opening (so bees can no longer get in our out), wait several months and see if you get a fermented/beer smell. If you do, then you will need to open up the wall and remove the honey.

I would guess you are in the clear though.

Bookmark   January 16, 2005 at 11:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moosewood_apiary

I agree w/ tarheit's comments posted 1/16/05. I would add that if the honeycomb is located near a heat source (chimney); you keep a close watch for any "spotting" of melting wax on walls, etc. If you see "spotting" take care of it ASAP.

Bookmark   February 7, 2005 at 9:27PM
More Discussions
Living with pollinators
Hello, I am new to this forum. We have been co-existing...
simplegreenguy
Large quiet bee--ID?
Can anyone ID this bee? Coastal BC, today
Real LIfe Garden Solutions
bees or Yellow Jacket
I was not killing them because I thought they were...
cyranoses
Who am I?
Anybody know what this is? Is it a carpenter bee?
dr.liz
Observation Hive
I'm interested in setting up an observation hive. I...
katetrav
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™