Raggy Looking Bananas

Suzi AKA DesertDanceAugust 16, 2012

First time at this forum, and do not mean to insult you. Just confused about the look of the unkempt banana.

We are looking at property to buy, and many of the homes have these horrible, huge banana trees close to the house. So far, they've been a deal killer!

Is there a way to keep them neat looking? Are they like bamboo? Invasive?

If I knew how to divide and conquer, they might be OK, but evidently they thrive in the areas we are looking at.

What should we do with them if we end up with them? They are so cheap at the store, why grow them?

Suzi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shuffles_gw

Tall bananas are beautiful but can look ragged after the wind hits them. They are not invasive and they are very succeptible to glyphosate (Roundup). If you don't like them, kill them. Yeah, bananas in the store are cheap. But, they might not taste as good as home grown. If any children are involved, they might just get a kick out of seeing how bananas grow - and realizing food doesn't just come from the market. We grow, among others, apple bananas and the neighborhood kids just love them.

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 5:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bamatufa(7 - Trussville, AL)

Round-up or a butter knife will take care of a banana tree. I would not let them be a deal killer.However they are very attractive plants and can not be grown just anywhere. I get alot of compliments on mine .

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 7:56PM
More Discussions
Banana Question...
I bought a dwarf cavendish banana about 2 years ago,...
Dani74
Prepping the soil for banana plants
Hello, I have a nice space for about 2-3 dwarf Apple...
figsinhawaii
What size container to transplant into
I just purchased an unknown banana plant (labeled Musa...
drtd
Banana fruiting stopped at 3 hands, now what?
My banana tree finally flowered, we were so excited....
darkmorning
yellow and brown edges on banana leaves
Hello all, I have a dwarf cavendish banana plant which...
sabine_farm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™