annual vinca (periwinkle) disease

richsdJuly 4, 2014

Until recently I had a nice row of multi-colored vincas next to the lawn. Nice to look out on in the middle of summer.

Then the disease hit them. Now about half are dead. After a little research, I found out some plant breeders in Texas developed a line of vincas RESISTANT to the disease. The seed line is 'Cora'. So, needless to say, I won't buy Home Depot vincas again since I have no idea what variety I'm getting.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
harolds(9)

Thanks for bringing this up. I've never heard of Cora vincas, so after a short Google search, one site says that my Lowes in Peoria has them - $7.98 for a six pack!!!!! Wow! Gotta check that out. Wouldn't you love to find them on their close out shelve? I can't image too many people paying that for a six pack.
Looks like Armstrong in Californai has them. I always stop at as many Armstrong Nurseries as I can whenever I'm in Southern CA. Wonderful places.
Also available as seeds from Park. They might be easy to start from seed since the "common" ones seem to easily self sow. I'm not a good seed grower guy tho.

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 12:37AM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Good information, thanks for posting it! I know a lot of folks have vinca wilt in their gardens and lost a lot of plants from it. Good tip! I tend to plant them in containers of brand new potting mix, which reduces the chance of wilt, but getting some resistant varieties would be nice. I love Park Seed. Thanks for mentioning the variety and some good sources. Happy gardening Rich and Harold and all!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cora vinca from Park Seed Co.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 2:14PM
aztreelvr

Phytophthora parasitica, which is the major pathogen causing root disease in citrus grown in Arizona, causes root and crown diseases of periwinkle. Another fungal disease of periwinkle known as Rhizoctonia causes partial or complete girdling of emerged seedlings at or near the soil surface. The lesions on lower stems are sunken and dark in color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diseases of Urban Plants

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 1:32PM
More Discussions
Boojum tree
Hello! I was at the botanical gardens the other day...
mastergardenator
NOT in love with my sapote tree
Hi everyone, I'm so NOT in love with my grafted sapote...
grant_in_arizona
Mary, silvery fir tree
I think I got a silvery fir tree tomato from you last...
ernie85017, zn 9, phx
drumstick tree
I was reading old posts and this tree sounds great. I...
calb_gardner
Sponsored Products
KOHLER Toilet Handles Persuade 1.6 GPF Dual Flush Toilet Tank Only in Almond
Home Depot
Periwinkle 300-Thread Count Egyptian Cotton Sheet Set
$39.99 | zulily
Toto Promenade G-Max Toilet - CST423SFG#01
$483.00 | Hayneedle
Rustic Natural Cedar Furniture Side Table - 409A
$99.99 | Hayneedle
Domus Ventures Dallas Sunlounger Chaise Lounge - 336HN
$489.99 | Hayneedle