What to do about overwintering a potted Musa with pups?

greenpassion(z4-z5 VT)August 11, 2010

I love this forum. Anyway, I have to decide what to do with my Musa this fall. She's about 6ft tall, in a large pot on my deck. There are around 4 to 5 pups there, and I haven't a clue as to what to do with them. I want to bring the pot inside and ?? keep it in my studio with heat and light? or cut it (them) down at soil level and put them in my dark cool basement?? I'm nervous about not feeling confident-I love this plant!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sjackwheat(7)

I have about 6 Musa Dwarf Cavendish bananas that reproduce at a steady rate so I just remove the soil from the parent plant, cut away the pups and repot the babies. The problem I am having at this time is that the babies are having babies! (latest count is 21 pups) LOL....I do overwinter mine in the house in an east window with heat in the room, and they do just fine that way. Hope this is helpful.

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 11:40PM
greenpassion(z4-z5 VT)

Thanks sjackwheat. Do you have your banannas in pots or outside? What zone are you? Another question, the one pup I've cut off from mom and repotted is getting brown edges on the leaves. I know it's common for the lower leaves to turn, but these are the top ones. I am worried it's sick. I've got it outside in good potting soil like the mother. If it's sick, can I use a fungicide on it? I have a product called greencure that works super well on my other plants. It cures and prevents rust, powdery mildew, and many fungus diseases. I am hesitant to use anything on this baby.

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 10:01AM
wxman81

How big was the pup you cut off? Did it have any roots of its own yet? They need to be at least a few feet tall with a good root system to transplant successfully.

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 1:09PM
greenpassion(z4-z5 VT)

The pup was over two ft. tall, and I got more than 3 white thick roots with a bublish thing at the pups base. It looked fine the first few days. Now it doesn't look sick really, but the edges of the leaves are turning brown, even the top ones. The newest leaf looks kind of flimsy too.

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
Banana tree not doing well
I have a big banana tree that has been thriving until...
sibbell
First Year End Red Esente
This is the first year of growing Bananas (Red Esente)...
DueanGross
Brand new to bananas, please help identify!
I'm in zone 6, so this baby will never go outside,...
lilmizscareall
Digging Musa basjoo
My 10-year-old musa mother plant has now become a banana...
rainydaywoman_z8
Smallest dwarf I've seen
This past week I was out to lunch and while walking...
gnappi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™