bamboo and rodent hole

mike9August 18, 2009

I cleared a large area by the treeline, mostly of poision ivy. I sprayed roundup then pulled the vines, and of course not wearing enough protection for my wrists, ankles, face waist etc. I then raked away the leaf litter and moved a pile of big sandstone rocks back 10 feet and stacked them in a low wall and then planted 4 one gallon Sasa Oshidensis bamboo. Theyve already sent up several shoots.

Last week i found the leaves on one of my small bamboo plants covered with slugs, 2 large slugs and a dozen teeny ones. I picked and killed them then several more the next night and threw down som bug getta granuals.

Today i saw some kids run between the plants stand on the stone wall then run around and chase each other. I checked and one of the plants had a few small shoots crushed.Ugh!!

While inspecting that plant i found a clean, deep, 1" diamter hole right on the other side of that plant.

In previus years ive seen chipmunks running threw the yard, I dont remember ever seing any other non-squirrel rodents around so a chipmunk would be my first guess.

Will it damage my bamboo? If it will what should i do?

I live in CT

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike9

hole in the ground, in case that wasnt clear lol.

Bookmark   August 18, 2009 at 5:24AM
mike9

I just checked closer and found theres a hole next to a second bamboo plant, and a leaf on the third plant was nibbled. my guess is animals were curius aboout a plant they never seen before.

Do rodents eat the rhizomes? I filled the holes in, If they come back im putting poision down that hole or placing traps.

Bookmark   August 18, 2009 at 6:23AM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

One of the problem critters you need to worry about is voles...they seem to love to eat the roots of bamboo. I can't tell from your description what critter(s) you are dealing with, but voles can effectively kill a bamboo from below and you don't usually know it until it's too late. It might be time to set out some traps. (I'd worry about using rodenticide with kids around).

Bookmark   August 18, 2009 at 1:25PM
More Discussions
dkansas
Alternate plant suggestion for bamboo which is not...
dkansas
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
blue bamboo?
I am looking for bamboo hardy to zone 7 with blue culms....
shane11
Moso vs Giant Japanese Timber
Phyllostachys heterocycla f. pubescens "Moso"...
vancleaveterry
Anyone growing Sasa palmata in zone 6A?
I want to screen part of our property and don't want...
mersiepoo
Sponsored Products
Multi Basket by Menu
$104.95 | Lumens
Aquabrass - X7514 Xround Single-Hole Lavatory Faucet - ABFBX7514PC
$409.50 | PlumbTile
Night Bamboo Giclee CFL Swing Arm Desk Lamp
Lamps Plus
Palisade Oil Rubbed Bronze 68-Inch Ceiling Fan with Antique Bamboo Blades
Bellacor
Fresca Oxford 48" Traditional Double Sink Bathroom Vanity - Antique White
Modern Bathroom
Virtu USA Zuri 55-Inch Double Sink Vanity
Overstock.com
Blu Dot | Wonder Wall 2 Drawer Cabinet
YLiving.com
Alfresco Home Florentine Cast Aluminum 64 Square Dining Table with Umbrella Hole
LuxeDecor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™