Seperating a pup from Mom

roccsky63August 27, 2007

What is the correct procedure when trying to seperate a pup from the mother plant. I have receieved a Banana tree from a friend of mine about 6-7 months ago and it is going hog wild with offspring. I have dug down and found the pups afe comming from the main trunk. Can I seperate them from the Mom or will it kill the Mother tree. I started off with One and now If I dont cut them back I could have 20. My friend is jealous cause his plants dont do this. Little help here is appreaciated on how to seperate the pups. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitangadiego(San Diego, CA)

Yes, you can remove them. You need to sever them from the parent, usually 12-16 inches deep. I use a Rough-Neck digging bar to sever the pup, and to pry it out of the ground. The more roots you damage on the parnet plant, the greater the stress, and ultimately you get less and smaller fruit. See general info at http://webebananas.com/FESTIVAL%20OF%20FRUIT%202007%20Banana%20Handout.pdf

Bookmark   August 28, 2007 at 1:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roccsky63

Thx Diego, thats what I thought. Ill dig down and get em out. I just didnt want to damage any of the roots but I will probably chop a few by accident. Will this be an on going thing for ever or will this mass producing pups come to an end eventually.

Bookmark   August 29, 2007 at 10:22AM
More Discussions
Brand new to bananas, please help identify!
I'm in zone 6, so this baby will never go outside,...
lilmizscareall
Banana Question...
I bought a dwarf cavendish banana about 2 years ago,...
Dani74
Digging Musa basjoo
My 10-year-old musa mother plant has now become a banana...
rainydaywoman_z8
Banana fruiting stopped at 3 hands, now what?
My banana tree finally flowered, we were so excited....
darkmorning
Smallest dwarf I've seen
This past week I was out to lunch and while walking...
gnappi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™