Yellow groove, cutting to increase girth?

sandy0225(z5 Indiana)August 2, 2013

I have a very well established grove of yellow groove bamboo 40x20. About 18-20 feet tall. However the new shoots from the last few years are massive, like 1" diameter +. The older growth towards the center of the grove is smaller and thinner where it was getting established.
My question is this...if I clean cut the entire grove this fall, where will it shoot in the spring? Will it shoot again in the center, because if it did, the roots are well established and the shoots should be bigger in diameter then what I have now. But if it only shoots on the edges like it did this year, then I will have a donut of bamboo around the edges with nothing in the center.
Another reason I was considering doing this is that starlings have totally taken over the grove all winter as a roosting place and they come in great numbers and poop all over in there and it's oily and it stinks! I thought maybe doing this would break their bad roosting habit. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

There's nothing wrong with pruning out culms you don't want. However, don't do it with the expectation that you can direct new growth to a certain spot. In addition, in my experience, such pruning will not cause an increase in new culm diameter that wouldn't have occurred anyway.

Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 3:07PM
More Discussions
my new planted bamboo is dying.... I think
hey guys, this is Alex from Mexico, Baja, my zone is...
steelfish
blue bamboo?
I am looking for bamboo hardy to zone 7 with blue culms....
shane11
Grasses
Do grasses ( like miscanthus and others) need a lot...
els60
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
Wanted: PH dulcis or Giant timber bamboo
I am looking for ph dulcis and/or giant timbers I dont...
rozenkruetz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™