Native bees and woodpeckers.

tucsontropicaldudeFebruary 28, 2007

I built several nestings sites for the native bees in our area by drilling different size holes in 4"x4" blocks. I had several hundred holes drilled in the blocks I placed around the yard and at the end of summer I was surprised to see that almost all of the holes had been filled. Then about midwinter I noticed that the filled holes were no longer filled and I knew it was to early for the bees to start hatching. One weekend when I was in the backyard I found out what was going on. Looks like I built a dinner stand for the local woodpecker. It was going from hole to hole pulling out the bee larva. Seems the only way I could keep the bees safe was to wrap chicken wire around the blocks. Seems to be working so far.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Hm...too bad that you to have to loose some!
I was reading ones,.. sometimes those blocks are taken down and stored somewhere for a while after they are filled.
Konrad

Bookmark   March 2, 2007 at 10:54PM
bejay9_10(zone 9/10)

My latest education concerning bees and birds was last summer, when I began to notice a few of the larger species of birds hovering around the bee hives. They were sitting on the fence waiting for a bee to return to the hive with pollen or nectar, and then swoop down to catch dinner.

I didn't think too much about it, except that one over-zealous guard topk exception when the alarm sounded, and it chased not only the blue jay but me all of the way to the back door. I managed to get inside - and left the jay to fend for itself. After all, I figured it was his fault, not mine and so I left him sitting on the railing outside the kitchen door.

The only thing - is that for several weeks, every time I happened to be near the hive, I was attacked. Soooo - I finally took a can of Raid, and did what any red-blooded, property protector would do - I zapped it.

Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

Bookmark   March 5, 2007 at 8:19PM
dubistein

I read that the nesting bees lay the female eggs first, in the back of the tube, and when predators raid the tubes, they are more likely to eat the males in front, leaving more females to survive and reproduce. Someone told me that the woodpecker beak can't get to the end of longer holes.

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 12:42AM
More Discussions
bees, deter, Please need suggestions!
OK.. I need the experts. For the last 13 years, my...
poolproblmes
And I thought everything I read on the internet was true...
http://m.wikihow.com/Identify-Africanized-Honey-Bees Here...
naturewest
how to get rid of 10000s ground yellow jackets on 400-500 holes
Many parts of my 1 acre highly wood area has 400-500...
pectin
Caucasian queens
I'm trying to line up some queens for next year.....I...
groall
first year bee keeping-Nevada
is there any one out there from my area first year...
cullen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™